Find
Notify
Tools

Its been a'while
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted
Howdy all, been a'while since my last visit... I've got a bit more time on my hands these days (I retired last March) and it's time to touch base at some of my old haunts... I also go by Ohio Joe & Candle Snuffer... Some of you I already know.

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
Hey glad to see ya Joe!

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Good to see you too, Spotted Bull. This is a good place to have my morning coffee. Smiler

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Glad to see some life here. Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
YAWNNNNNN! Been asleep fer ah spell.....Say, what year is it anyway? Have ah missed much? Bye tha bye, welcome back Joe.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
I kind'a think all Forums suffer a bit with visitors these days, but Forums are sure better then the alternatives, IMHO... Smiler

Now where'd I sit my coffee???

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Furthermore, Joe, it keeps us off the streets. Break out the jug and not just the coffee. It's time to celebrate the returns to the forum.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hanshi:
Furthermore, Joe, it keeps us off the streets. Break out the jug and not just the coffee. It's time to celebrate the returns to the forum.

Yes sir Hanshi, I keep my "Old No.7 Brand" right handy for just such occasions. Smiler

Factor
posted Hide Post
Which reminds me; I gotta get a still set up....and my beer rig going again.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Boartooth, I think it was Paul Harvey many years ago when he was still with us doing the radio "Rest of the Story..." Anyway, he did one about the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock, and the first order of business was to make beer. He went on a bit more about it, but unfortunately - I can't remember "the rest of the story" Smiler

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya, I've heard before that the first thing people ever do when settling a new area is to find what will ferment in the local vicinity. Lol.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of finding what is fermentable in a new area. I'm in Northwest Arkansas, (Benton county, actually) and there are, at last count, 35 breweries in this and a neighboring county, several which are large enough to supply the venerable Walmart stores. Many are, of course, craft breweries, but popular, nonetheless. Aahhh, the choices we have!

Posts: 33 | Location: Bentonville, Arkansas | Registered: 26 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have also read quite a lot on the American colonies, especially daily life, etc. Being a long time reenactor, it helps the persona a lot. I've read numerous times, that, due to poor sanitation and worse personal hygiene, water quality was abysmal in most towns and cities, so beer drinking was a means of getting hydrate (LOL) with less risk, not to mention the social advantages. I doubt their brewed drinks are anything close to ours today, though. But then, again-----

Posts: 33 | Location: Bentonville, Arkansas | Registered: 26 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I never have liked beer. Even as a teenager while my cruising friends got their 6-packs, I was the designated driver. Beer is just bitter tasting to me.
I guess I would be hard pressed in colonial times to find good drinking water anywhere near the towns and villages.
However, I do like the sweeter wines, and years ago I was a rum drinker - but no longer. I still enjoy a glass of lambrusco, sangria, or even port now and then - but that is all.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm not much of a beer drinker, meself. I prefer a good rum, a smooth single malt whiskey, or, in cold weather, a nice firey brandy. A good rum is Pusser's, They are the folks who supplied the British navy from 1690, to 1970 with it's rum issue, and still distill it the same way. Great stuff! Also, good ole' George Washington's distillery has been rebuilt, and is producing the very same whiskey it did in his day. Unfortunately, Virginia law won't let them send it out. You have to got to Mt. Vernon to get it. I may do that one of these days!

Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
There are several excellent distilleries here in Texas now. Andalusia Whiskey Company has one called Stryker that is really good. They use mesquite-smoked peat in the recipe and it adds an amazing flaver.

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
That whiskey sounds wonderful! Can it be ordered? There is a liquor super store here, that orders some stuff for me. Incidently, on another tack, coffee became quite popular in the colonies, and, as no plantations were much running in the Americas, at all, most came directly from the source: Kenya. There is a coffee house here that sells the beans, and will even sell them to me unroasted. Talk about period correct!

Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
No they say on the website that the law prohibits it. But one of the big liquor stores in Texas may be able to ship you a bottle.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I will check it out.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Speaking of spirits, I love red wines; Chianti, Cabernet, Pinot Noir & others. I've enjoyed a number of bourbons, rums and rye. Personal favorite is Wild Turkey bourbon and WT rye. With $$ being a consideration, I will catch Jim Beam when it goes on special. Guinness is my favorite by far, along with some of the craft brewery stouts.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post