New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELLO
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I just found this forum, and it look like what I was looking for. I'm almost 70, and have hunted most of my life. I have finally had to give up hunting due to some medical problems.

Not wanting to give up shooting. I decided to start going to shoots, and rendezvous. I haven't been to one yet, but it looks like fun. I've always like the old stuff. So, this should be interesting. The club i'm going to join is into pre 1840 fur trade era. Which is my interest too.

I've always shot caplocks for hunting, but I want a flintlock now that I don't have to deal with bad weather hunting. I know I could have hunted with a flintlock. I just never got around to trying it.

Being retired and on Social Security. I can't spend a lot on a gun. I like the Hawken guns, so I ordered a Lyman GPR in LH flint. I would have got a kit, but they don't offer a LH model. I want to brown the barrel, and reshape the stock to look more like a Hawken. I'll need clothes and other period correct items. So, i'll have a bunch of questions.

Anyway, i'm glad to be here, and look forward to talking to you all.

Flinter

Posts: 42 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 11 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to camp, Flinter. There are a lot of us much like yourself and with varying degrees of get-up-and go to rely on. Flintlocks are more fun but I still shoot a couple of cap guns from time to time. Welcome to the dark side of the force.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Pete, Welcome to the Campfire and good luck with that Lyman flinter. I hear you loud and clear about making the Lyman look more like a Hawken, you could change the trigger guard too. Anyway, that stuff doesn't need to be done before you enjoy some good shooting. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire Flinter. This is certainly the place to ask questions as you mentioned above. There are tons of sharp people on here.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Howdy Flinter, we appear to have a few things in common. I don't hunt much but I did shoot a cap lock for a while and just switch over to a rock gun. (an inexpensive CVA Mountain Rifle in 45 cal.)

I am in a shooting and rendezvous club here in VA and do a mountain man persona. It's one of the best hobbies I have ever got involved in. I enjoy the people and the activities at the get to gather's that I attend.

I don't know where you are located but the Eastern Primitive Rendezvous will be held here in Virginia the latter part of September. Should be over 3,000 people there. Yep that's three zeros! If you are any where close that should be a dandy to get you started in this deal.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Iche..........I'm a bit down the road in Colorado.

Flinter

Posts: 42 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 11 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Well if you start now.................

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I like a good hike....but......

Flinter

Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
Welcome Flinter Smiler

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post