New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello , and I need some advice
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hello , I'm Robert from Ohio .I'm 16 years old and would like to get into Muzzleloader hunting/shooting and maybe even some trekking. I have a Traditions .32 crockett pistol , a nice possibles bag , and a powder horn.I am most likely going to buy a parts set from North Star West- eigther the Early English or Northwest gun.Now for me the North West at $805 to my front door is alot of money , I do have it and have been saving for about three years for a smoothbore.Are there any American made kits or guns for any cheaper that that? I have been looking at used but would much prefer a new one and the prices arn't much lower than a parts kit.

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 11 | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Muskrat, Welcome to the Campfire! Now, I will answer your question about Northwest gun kits but first let me tell you quite openly that I am a big fan of North Star West and I highly favor their Northwest gun. That bein' said, let's get serious. There are kits for Northwest guns that are cheaper than NSW but not really. I say "not really" because the barrels for the NSW guns come already breeched and fitting a breech plug is either time consuming if you do it yourself or expensive if you have a 'smith do it for you. Also, the NSW kits come with browning solution and stock oil. In addition to that, the NSW kits come with a few pages of written instructions and none of the others that I know of come with such instructions. I don't think the other NW gun kits are as good or as authentic as North Star West's. You mentioned having a shooting bag and a powder horn but you didn't mention having any gunsmithing tools. The NSW trade gun kits are not what we call "screwdriver kits," you are going to need tools such as chisels and a drill press. In the same line of thinking, you're going to need some help. You can get a lot of help right here but you should also contact an experienced builder in your area who might give you some hands-on assistance. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting the kit from North Star West, I'm only trying to prepare you for what will be ahead. The first step, of course, is getting the kit you want. When you get that done let us know and we'll see about getting you some help with it. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the campfire, Muskrat. Though I've never owned a NSW gun I have to agree with Mike concerning the tools and ability to use them. While I wouldn't tackle a NSW kit I would have no hesitation finishing an in-the-white gun, which I believe they offer at a price somewhat lower than a finished gun. Several makers offer the ITW option which is more than the kit but less than a finished gun.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fire Muskrat and you certianly came to the right fire to ask questions. Really helpful folks on here with lots of knowledge.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the replies . As far as building the kit , I'm pretty good with my hands. I have been doing a little wood working and Bladesmithing over the last few years.I put together the Crockett pistol without much trouble as that was more of a "screwdriver" kit.I have also found that after adding up everything , the NSW kit is equal or less in price to the other common suppliers/makers(TOTW,Caywood,the rifle shoppe).The only cheaper kit I have found is the Mike Brooks type G trade gun, but it looks like it needs more work than I am capable of. The TVM fowler kit is of comparable price but I would like to stay away from the heavy untapered barrel , also I have heard the ramrod channel/hole is drilled far from the barrel to save time and money.

Thanks,
Robert

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention , I have and know how to use a 1in beltgrinder , drill press , bandsaw , scroll saw , angle grinder , wheel grinders/buffer ,chisels, files ,and other assorted hand tools.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Muskrat, Bravo!! Now all you need to do is to go for it! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Muskrat!
You've come to the right place for advice. Man, can we offer advice!
I agree with Mike Nesbitt about the NSW guns. They are a bit more exact reproductions of true NW guns, and while all of the suppliers will sell you a gun that looks nice and works well, NSW is using patterns and plans that are taken directly from early guns. And those instructions and the hangable poster I got with my Chief's Grade Gun really did help. I've had trade guns which were from Track of the Wolf, too, and they're fine--just a bit later model than I would choose today. And if you talk to Matt Denison (at NSW) he can do a little customizing for you, though it may cost a bit more. He can shorten a barrel, include a butt-plate that's a little more rounded at the bend for an early look, stamp the lock and barrel with fur-company stamps, etc.
If you know how to use those tools you mentioned, and take your time and ask for help when you're puzzled or nervous, it'll come out fine. Good luck.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Seem's like I paid about $605 for my .62 cal. NW trade gun kit. I got just a plain maple stock with a 42" barrell. Not having the skills, or the tools to assemble it, I had it shipped to a friend in Houston to build it for me. Caywood sure does make a fine gun though.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post