MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  Gallery of Black Powder Craftsmen  Hop To Forums  Firearms Gallery    My first good flintlock and some muzzleloaders I acquired afterwards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first good flintlock and some muzzleloaders I acquired afterwards
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
I visited a rendezvous on a whim and bought 2 very inexpensive cap locks, also on a whim. I sold those two rifles after learning more about the hobby and then purchased this custom, 45 cal rifle that came with all the gear I posted on the Accoutrements forum topic.

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
And a few more shots:

Then, I was at the right place at the right time to take possession of a rifle of a quality I never thought I would have. The rifle was built by Neil Fields around an original, English, H.W. Mortimer lock dating back to perhaps 1820.

Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
ANd this is me after my wife found out that I purchased more guns: Big Grin

Ron

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup,that's why I have to be cautious about new purchases....I have to sink more into The Garden before I can indulge freely in the muzzle loading hobby...... Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is one fine rifle. All mine are pig ears next to that one. Frowner

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hanshi,
Just come on out here to Colorado and we can take it out to the range and shoot it.
I was very surprised when I saw this Fields rifle and the very reasonable price. It meant that several old battle rifles had to go, but I didn't feel too bad about that. For me, it was a very positive tradeoff.
Ron

Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
That is a very fine rifle you have RonC! I really like the use of the original English lock incorporated into the custom built piece! Sure better than sitting around in a drawer, like most old locks end up. Would love to hear more about your rifle. What caliber, how long a barrel, how's she shoot? Razzer

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Here are some characteristics of the Niell Fields rifle:
Built by Neill Fields of Green River rifle works fame. 7/8x36" .50 cal, 36 inch GRRW barrel, 1 in 66 twist, with 8 lands and grooves. Built with an original Mortimer late flintlock, has a rollered frizzen, very smooth internals. The rifle weighs in at just 6.5 lbs.

As for the Mortimer lock: H.W. Mortimer was an “Armourer to the Queen” and he and his son Harvey Walklate Mortimer were London gunsmiths' between 1753 and 1819 with premises at Fleet Street (see page 187 of British Gunmakers London By Brown).
Ron

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Some mighty fine shootin' pieces you have there.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Idaho Mountainneer!
Ron

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Now those are just cool. Beautiful wood on both Smiler

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
*DROOL*

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Those really show off the grain in the wood! Lovely.

Posts: 32 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 24 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Very fine looking rifle! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 8 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 21 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!
I consider myself very fortunate to have obtained these rifles.
Respectfully,
Ron