New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPR First Rifle Build
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
This is my first rifle build. I built a Lyman Plains Pistol last year to get some experience. I learned from a few mistakes on the pistol that I was able to avoid on the rifle. The glaring mistake I made on the rifle is the wood/metal fit at the rear of the lock. When I was sanding the stock, I set the lock in place but did not screw it in. It looks like it was not seated completely. When I assembled the rifle today I discovered the wood is a little high in that spot.

I hand rubbed 8 coats of True Oil on both the stock and ramrod allowing each coat to dry 24 hours. I used LMF to brown the metal parts. I only used stain on the ramrod which is hickory. I raised the cheekpiece so it is not so thick at the bottom of the stock. I also cut the forward portion of the comb back slightly to resemble early plains rifles. I added a silver front sight and a semi-buckhorn rear sight from Track of the Wolf to finish it off.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks real nice! It should be a fine hunting rifle for ya. Now what's your next build gonna be?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rockerdog! I want to build another Lyman Plains Pistol and after that maybe jump up to one of TVM or North Star Wests kits. I'm leaning toward a Leman or Tennessee Pistol from TVM.

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It turned out really nice Pab1. I like modifications you made to the stock.

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks BCR! I was not happy with the wood to metal fit at the rear of the lock so I sanded that area down. I decided to brown the lock while doing 8 more coats of True Oil on the repaired area of the stock. I think the browned lock improves the look of the rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pab1,