Find
Notify
Tools

New NW Trade Gun
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted
Finished this NW trade gun just before Christmas. 42 inch .62 barrel. From a TOTW parts set.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Left side.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Full length.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow,I like.....Simplicity and elegance of line....very nice.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I really like it Turkey Creek! Have you shot it yet?

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That thing is gorgeous!

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Beautiful trade gun Turkey Creek... You did great work.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments guys. This is my first smooth bore so I had no experience shooting without a rear sight. I shot five rounds consisting of .610 ball, 80 grains of 2f Goex and paper Yellowjacket nest for wadding. Shooting from a kneeling position at 30 yards I started with the top of the sight aligned with the tang which resulted with the first round about 6 inches below the target. Succeeding shots were walked into the bull by taking a lower hold on the front sight with the final two shots in the black holding the base of the sight in the center of the black.

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the picture posted sideways. Go figure.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice,it's a shooter too!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Nice work! That stock is beautiful!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pab. I certainly enjoyed building it. Just started a flint Leman trade rifle. Hope to be done with it in a couple months.

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Darn good job

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
I was gonna try it with #5 shot this weekend to get ready for spring turkey but couldn't quite get around to it. Have to do it this coming weekend for sure.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Nice looking smoothy...I'm trying to get a Leman trade rifle done to start a North West smoothbore. Sure hope mine turn out half as nice as yours.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
That's kinda funny Dick. I finished the NW Trade Gun and I just started on a flint Leman trade rifle. When you get the Leman finished be sure to post pictures here on the forum so we can enjoy it with you. Also, I really lucked out on the wood for the NWTG. It was just plain maple but once I stained it it really brought out some nice grain.

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
For contrast with the browned iron and the brass I fire blued my screws by heating them with my torch to a cherry red and then quenching them in motor oil. Came out a really nice dark blue and contrasts nicely.

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
P.S. Just in case you were interested I made my walnut stain from black walnuts soaked for a couple of months in water. I just filled a quart jar with the walnuts and covered them with water and let them soak and ferment and then strained out the stain through a rag. It took me 3 coats of stain to get the shade I wanted on the stock.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Walnut hulls,or the whole nut?

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
The whole thing Brother 'Tooth!