MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  Gallery of Black Powder Craftsmen  Hop To Forums  Firearms Gallery    Mountain Rifle Sneaks into the House and Decided to Stay
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Rifle Sneaks into the House and Decided to Stay
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
I had resolved not to buy any more front stuffers for a while. After all, I have several of them in a variety of types.
I failed at my resolution. I saw a "Hawken" "Mountain Rifle" offered for sale, a really lovely piece. The asking price was reasonable, but too high for my hobby budget. It didn't sell and the price kept dropping until it was too much for me to bear. A nice little consulting project came my way and made it possible to buy this rifle if I could convince my wife that I was under the control of metaphysical powers that drove me to an irresistible urge to add to my collection.
And, here is is:

It is a .50 cal. I would have preferred a .54, but that is what it had. Tom Watson built it for his son who has now built his own rifle.
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
That looks like a REALLY nice rifle Ron! Very well executed. Let us know how she shoots please.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I certainly will report on it. The builder's son has won several shoots with this rifle. Of course it is likely my shooting won't be nearly as good, what with a 69 year old's eyes. Smiler
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I agree, that rifle certainly is irresistible.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That rifle shur is purty...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Wow, jealous. Nice rifle gun.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.
Hanshi says: "I agree, that rifle certainly is irresistible." Yes, Sir, it was.

I must say that I can't claim to be "proud" of it. That would be the builder, Tom Watson.
I just am the fortunate individual who now has it.

Now, do I just look at it or shoot it? Big Grin
I know the answer. All my firearms are shooters. No safe queens, here. Smiler
Ron

Factor
posted Hide Post
It's easy for me to agree with you from my poverty and distance re:"No Safe Queens here..."
If I had a beauty like that,I'd have some qualms about firing it....But,of course,you're right,guns were intended to be fired.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I thought about keeping it just to look at, but the rifle has been used regularly by the first owner.
So, I will use it, but I will care for it well. I am compulsive about keeping my firearms clean and in good shape.

Ron

Factor
posted Hide Post
Good on ya,mate.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I've found that rifles can be really sneaky; sneaky enough to make it past your wife.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Rather than use the "Sneaky" approach, I executed a different strategy this time.
I suggested that the only antidote for my delicate psychological status after some surgeries would be either a 20 year old, beautiful muzzleloader or a 20 year old woman. Smiler

I thought that approach would work. It didn't. Confused I THEN resorted to the sneaky rifle action. Big Grin
Ron

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Ron, it appears to me from your last post that you like to tread on the dangerous side of things occasionally. You are a brave soul my friend.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,braver than me....Y'see,I like to eat and sleep on a bed. Wink

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
Ya,braver than me....Y'see,I like to eat and sleep on a bed. Wink

You said a mouthful!

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I guess I should be more risk adverse. A friend said that, given my tendency to joke or speak before I think, one day I would wake up with chest pains.
And, it wouldn't be a heart attack, but a steak knife! Red Face Eeker
When I was in intensive care after my heart surgery, I came out of my medication induced stupor and, as I was told, was polite to the medical staff.
A nurse came in and said: "Don't you ever wake up grumpy?" "No," I responded, "I usually let her sleep longer."
Yes, my wife was there. And yes, she did not turn off the medical equipment attached to me. Big Grin
Ron

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lol, Big Grin Wink

Booshway
posted Hide Post
You are a very brave man.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post