MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Bladed Weapons    Making a Hudson Bay style knife, in under 1 hour for $1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a Hudson Bay style knife, in under 1 hour for $1
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
This is an old trick, taught to me by a good friend aways back. The trick is to go yardsaling and start with a good meat cleaver. This one cost me one buck. I will show you the steps involved. Bear in mind, my shop has metal grinders, and two belt grinders. One of the belt grinders is a 36" rougher and the other is a 72" for finish. They make quick work out of this. You can do the same thing with a small hand belt grinder and stones...just gonna take longer.

Here is the cleaver marked out. I use a cutoff wheel on my hand grinder to shape the blade.

Blade shaped

Handle finish shaped ready for hand sanding...blade edge shaped and sharpened.

First coat of Fieblings medium brown stain.

Two coats of tung oil applied. I will hand polish the blade later, should take about 10 minutes. Elapsed time to this final picture was 47 minutes...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pease,

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Very cool Pease. Thanks for posting. I have reshaped a few knives from yardsales,fleamarkets etc...never made a HBC....will have to give it a try.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
want your dollar back? Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Will see you at the show! Now that I know your labor hours I think we can trade Wink Glad to see that you are staying busy.

Posts: 18 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Nice job !!

Wish that I could find knives or clever with some good metal, all that I see is chinese of japanese stainless in the yard/garage sale in my area.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good. A little resourcefulness goes a long way. Flea markets and antique shops are a treasure trove of good blades. And usually very cheap.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Lookin' good, Pease

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree Pease it looks good.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post