New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife blade designs
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Got all obsorbed in T.C.'s piece about recreating a knife. (Love knives, but I stay away from 'em - I'd have rooms stacked full of 'em and a cantankerous wife over it. Tuff to live in fear, ain't it?)

Anyhow, he mentions a 'clip point' blade. I know that means the shape on the end, but what I'm wondering is why the design: perhaps to keep from stabbing your other hand while butchering? I enjoy seeing all the different ways blades are designed . . . surely there are specific uses the designers had in mind. Shucks, my ol' yaller handled trapper (Case) - with which I laid my thumb open while skinning a deer this year - has two different kinds of blades.

Seems there are a bunch of designs. Pease made a 'sheep skinner' recently, which I assume means the blade favors the job of skinning sheep better than other blades. Anyone have knowledge of the reasons behind some of the designs?

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Sure wish I know the "why" as well. I do know what I like however.
I carried a 5 1/2 inch "clip pointed" knife in the Army.
Just made from an old kitchen knife, a antler handled "drop point" hunting knife.
And I just love those "Green River style Butchers".
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
A clip point aligns the point of the blade to the center of the thrust when built right i.e. the point thus lines up with a direct line through the grip allowing the best thrust - it was originally a design feature of a fighting knife and not a general purpose tool

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grey Wolf. I would've never guessed it to be a stabbing type weapon.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post