New
Find
Notify
Tools

I made this!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I just finished making this combo patch knife/flint striker made out of a USA made file. It is 7 1/4" long. It sparks like a 4th of July sparkler! All of the edges are rounded for comfort.

striker knife

Posts: 24 | Location: Winlock, WA | Registered: 23 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Very neatly done, Pete. Nice work!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
That is extremely fine work; ingenious, too.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good work Pete. I really like your work...I have some of it. Keep it.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I like it.
Very nice.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
super awesome!

Posts: 70 | Location: hanover pa  | Registered: 21 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of the edges are rounded for comfort.

Hey Wally, Does that include the cutting edge? I just had to ask... See you at Monroe!! Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
That's super cool! I want one!

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Nice work Wally! I too have a few of your pieces - keep them comming!

PAL

"The pen maybe mightier than the sword, but at least the sword has a definite point"

Posts: 92 | Location: PA | Registered: 27 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice work it looks great.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pete that is nice work. It's amazing how a little scroll work on the tail makes a big difference. Good work.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
nice job Pete .
i couldnt use it though as i would end up with the point stuck somewhere i didnt really want it to be stuck lol

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Agree, looks nice and well done.
But, I have never seen the practicality of the knife/striker combos. I have one in the bottom of my basket that is waiting to be used as a blanket prize or trade item some day.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Hey Wally nice job, I have on of these, if you hold the striker still and move the hand with the rock and strike it against the steel like your supposed to!!!!!!! probably would not get stuck!

Posts: 100 | Location: PNW wash State | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
never done it that way jim .
BUT lol if i use a bow drill i wont get stuck eather LOL

Posts: 687 | Location: Payette ,Idaho | Registered: 23 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captchee:
never done it that way jim .
BUT lol if i use a bow drill i wont get stuck eather LOL

GOOD POINT BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 100 | Location: PNW wash State | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Good post Beav. I have seen many folks use their striker totally backwards. You should hold the striker in your left hand and keep in totally firm. Hold the flint in your right hand and strike the steel. It sparks much better that way. You will get a lot more sparks that way.

Posts: 24 | Location: Winlock, WA | Registered: 23 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of captchee
posted Hide Post
Not to argue with you fellas but it near impossible to hold the char cloth and catch a spark that way . Not to mention you have to have a fairly good size piece of flint to work it that way .
Myself I hold the flint , as small as a gun flint , in my left hand with the char folded between the flint and my thumb . The flint is then held at an angle to the striking
The strike is then directed down into the flint . . This produces a good shower of sparks which k then jumps to the char very easily and with quality of spark .
Your hands are also protected that way with no to very little chance of taking the skin off you hands .

that’s how I have always done it . Frankly I have never seen anyone do it the other way.
well i take that back , i have . but i normaly sugest to them to try it the other way .
if you have good quality flint and a good steel , the result is you should be able to get flaim in 5-15 secounds after your firts strike .

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with Cap, though there isn't really a right or wrong way if you get the sparks to the char.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
That is pretty nice lookin!! Great job!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post