New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Texas Bowie
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Just finished this one. A Texas sized Bowie knife for picking teeth, trimming nails, removing heads, or clearing small forests when necessary. Blade is 11" x 2 3/8" x 1/4", of 01 steel. False edge was brought to an edge, but not honed. India Sambar elk grip is secured by a through tang peened over the 1/8" thick steel beveled butt cap. Beveled S guard and ferrule are also of steel. All lightly aged to a pleasant gray. Hope you enjoy a look.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Superb work.... The devil is in the small details. And the larger one of modeling it after a original... Yet making it your own...

Excellent as always, Wicke

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Great work there, Wick! I wish I were that good! Smiler
~Josh

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You will be Josh. You can easily be better than me, if you stay at it.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement!
By the way... what did you use for the bolster? or is that a ferrule?
Again, that knife is beautiful!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
WBE, that's a beauty. Hank

Posts: 17 | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Now thats a knife

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely beautiful! Definitely work to be proud of.

Posts: 50 | Location: Mountain Home Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
WBE,,like Hank sez,beauty of a Bowie,wish I had one about 4 inches long Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Puts me in mind of reading about Willie Brannan (a Beckwith sidekick), who wrote about owning (and often using!) a knife weighing over 2 pounds. Claimed he dropped a horse with it by a single blow to its back. Missed the Indian rider he was swinging at . . .

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That should be good for removing thumbs too! A fine looking item. Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post