Find
Notify
Tools

Antler Handle Knife
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted

I was given a couple of carbon steel butcher knives a while back and have already decided the fate of one of them. I thought of possibly altering the blade shape some and reducing then adding an antler handle. This piece of antler has since been "dehorned" and cut to the right length.

This is brand new territory for me. I'm hoping for any advice/suggestions on how to proceed.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see it after your done. I really like the looks of that blade.

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I agree with Cado - let me go a step further and say that I would not change the "shape" of the blade. I can't tell the size by the photo, but I have a few early blades, and they do not differ much from the one you have...

just an opinion
PAL

"The pen maybe mightier than the sword, but at least the sword has a definite point"

Posts: 92 | Location: PA | Registered: 27 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Should be interesting when you are finished. My biggest challenge when trying antler is splitting it down the center straight.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll leave the blade as is. Splitting the antler will be a difficult trick as I don't have a band saw. That's what scares me. Cutting down the metal handle frame to fit shouldn't be much of a problem, though.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Hanshi I like the blade.
You may be able to split the antler with a hack saw, going slow. Them sand flat.
If you don't feel good about splitting the antler there is always wood or born. I'm sure you have thought of these already.
I have made one set of knife handles from a very large dog bone from the pet store. They came out good.
I've been meaning to handle a knife in osage if I ever get around to it.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Don

Posts: 154 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post