muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Mohawk Belt Axe

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/29510091/m/8844060628

22 October 2012, 09:00 PM
Notchy Bob
Mohawk Belt Axe
I have taken an interest in that little Mohawk belt axe that you see for sale here and there. Here's the link to the one sold by R.E. Davis: Mohawk Belt Axe, and here is what Track of the Wolf has to say about it: Track's Mohawk Belt Axe. It looks like a good size and style to carry on a ramble through the woods, at about one fifth the price of a Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet. Track indicates the bit is differentially heat treated, a feature you don't see much in these reproduction axes with cast heads. That "perch belly" handle profile looks a little odd at first, but it's probably ergonomic.

I am interested in seeing a photo of the original from which this axe was copied. R.E. Davis says it is an "exact replica" of one in Jim Johnston's collection, excavated from a Mohawk Indian site in Rome, NY. I don't have Mr. Johnston's "Accoutrements" books. Is the original of this axe illustrated in one of the books? If so, which one?

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife
23 October 2012, 03:06 PM
Mike Nesbitt
Bobby, The closest one, in my opinion, is in Accouterments II but to my eyes it is not exact. Close enough I'd say. It has a 2 1/4" cutting edge. And the original in the book has a straight handle with a 9 1/2" length. What else can I tell you. Shoot sharp, Mike
24 October 2012, 08:42 AM
Rifleman1776
Keep in mind it is advertising. Perzactly or not, it looks like a neat tomahawk/axe. In the same category as the Ft. Meigs. I have the Ft. Meigs and really find it useful in camp. The small pounding poll is also useful.
25 October 2012, 04:24 AM
Notchy Bob
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to get ahold of a copy of Accourements II and have a look at the original. It is curious that the reproduction should have such a different handle.

As Rifleman1776 said, it does not really matter, though. It looks like a very useful and handy small axe.

Much obliged,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife
13 April 2013, 10:47 PM
Stophel
I like mine, and actually want another and make a different handle for it.

The design (though I would like for the lower "collar" beneath the bit to be solid all the way around the handle instead of cut out)is the basic European axe, going back centuries. ULTRA common axe design in the 18th century, and is usually called the "Biscay" style of axe, as zillions of them were made in the Biscay area of France. They are usually considered French trade axe heads (in various sizes), but Europeans in general made this basic style of axe head (I have a German auction catalog from some years ago showing a small axe head of this same design that was found somewhere in Germany). I believe that the French trade axes will generally (always???) have three round stamp marks on the blades.

Now, this little axe head has just a bit of a flat poll, which began to be seen during the 18th century. Usually, the back is rounded off (which you could do if you wish). Of course, the Davis axe head is smooth-ish and does not look forged at all, but even that could be changed, if one is so inclined.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stophel,