Find
Notify
Tools

New Snake Brand Butcher Knife
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Notchy Bob,
Thank you for the excellent information! I had no idea there where that many options for "Old Hickory type" butcher knives! Thank you for all of the links too! I have a lot of research to do now! I would consider all of those knives as reasonably priced and good looking. I will be anxiously awaiting my tax refund and exploring them all. Again thank you, it's just what I needed!

Stophel
Very nice knife! The more pics the better! I love old style knives!

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I once bought an Old Hickory butcher knife for a utility/cooking knife for one of my camps and it was a good enough knife, we used it for a few years and I don't know what happened to it. I really don't like the looks of them for period knives because of the lines stamped in them. Mountain Top Traders is an outfit that goes to rendezvous and last summer they had in their tent a couple 8" butcher knives and a couple scalpers from Novell. I planned on picking up a scalper but never got around to it. They have a web site. Mike Nesbitt featured Novell knives in the muzzleloader magazine one time. Good looking period knife.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
As a nipper I had a Nowill Rabbiters knife, did outstanding duty. If I recall it is still in a draw at my sisters house in UK.A good knife for the $$$ and looks HC.(for what thats worth Smiler )

Posts: 12 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Good reading here Notchy Bob

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The Snake Brand Butcher knife as sold by Crazy Crow in multiple places is made in Pakastan as far as my research can find. This is an instant knock out as far as I'm concerned. I have bought one Pakastan knife on accident from Dixie Gun Works (I didn't know, and the knife I received didn't match the pic, but it was cheap), and I plan on giving it away the first chance I get. I mean no offense to the hard working knife importers, but as a 3rd gen American steel worker... ain't gonna happen. Thank you for all of the replies to this post. I just wanted to put this to bed.

P.S. I was given a giant 14" old hickory butcher this summer, and I love it. Little vinegar,sand paper, and filing and I now have a beautiful rustic large butcher with a nifty fringed sheath.I'm super happy and content to wait to stumble across my next knife(s) and give the internets a break. Wink Thanks again everyone.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
http://www.sheffieldknives.co....ives---Scrapers.html

No idea how good these are, but they are actual butcher knifes from Sheffield.

I carry an original 5 pin Green River or one of the MOFT's special run of 5 pin butcher knifes myself for that "Company Man" Trapper impression. Otherwise its McClain or Williard knives.

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post