Find
Notify
Tools

early style sgian dubh.
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted
Finished up my first Scottish knife. A nice early style sgian dubh; mayhap mid 1700's? Im quite proud of the little fella. To quote an old Scottish folk song- "It aint much use fer fightin', but fer peelin' spuds its dandy." Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Josh Crain,

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
cool,i just got an order for one,but I can't see no pictures of yours,my buddy wants an antler handle on his,he's gonna wait till spring now thou

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
You mean you can't see the pictures? Hmmm... I'll see if I can change somethin.

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I've got the pictures up now.

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Tis a fine wee little knife you have in your stocking Josh. Good job. I like it.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Josh, that's a fine lookin' knife. I do like your work.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I'd be proud to have something of yours like this... I'm looking for a new patch knife

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
now I can,Thanks Josh,very nice

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Cute li'l thing.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
purrrrfect for the Turkey woods Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Sweet knife! A question of the PC gang. would Scottish trappers still carried a sgian dubh in the mountains do you think? Would that be PC? I really like them.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I sort of think trappers, like long hunters of the 1700s would have carried whatever they had or came upon... whether from family, subtler or bodies. There are accounts of the Highland Regiments men carrying Claymores (the huge swords) of the highlands and members of the Colonial Militias carrying hangers (swords) during the French and Indian War. Not sure the PC crowd is all that helpful in all respects hehe. Honestly, as long as an item is from a period BEFORE, rather than something like Jerimiah Johnson carrying a Barrett, one would be ok.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MountainRanger,

Sua Sponte

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Perhaps trappers and mountain men might not have carried them, but there were several Scottish regiments in canada, and some sgian dubhs may have come over from the British Isles with the British regulars during the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. Though, I doubt in large numbers.

Scottish weapons are my favorite. For me, the the dirk far exceeds the bowie (I know, sacrilege, right? Eeker ) and I'd rather carry a sgian dubh than an American patch knife.

Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Josh,

Your work keeps getting better and better, and it was really good to start with! I really like the handmade looks of that knife. Many of the sgian dubhs that you see these days are too perfect, more like costume props. That one looks like it came out of the stocking of a real Highlander, like it could be used for gralloching a stag. It looks like a very traditional knife that was made to be used.

Keep up your good work!

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks! Most of the newer sgian dubhs (1800's and onward) have that gaudy look to them, because they were meant as an implement of dress and fashion- not as a tool or weapon. I really don't like them at all. But the older knives, similar to mine, are actually real products of the Highlands, not some romanticized bauble. Thanks again for the compliment. It means alot.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,that's a knife I would carry in my stockings...And use......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scottish weapons are my favorite. For me, the the dirk far exceeds the bowie (I know, sacrilege, right? Eeker ) and I'd rather carry a sgian dubh than an American patch knife.

here ya go Josh -
Scottish Dirks and Scians

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks, Chuck! Have u ever seen the old book "Highland Weapons" by James Drummond, or "The Scottish Dirk" by James D. Forman? These r both excellently informative reads.