New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardenened Sheath
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Needed to make a sheath for this skinner... It has a unusual shape and the sheath needed to work with a sash. I have been learning different leather hardening techniques and wanted to give this a try. Made the sheath, stained it, and heated it up to 200 degrees and wax formed/hardened the leather. The sheath is rigid and retains the knife tightly...

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice work Pease. Looks it fits like a glove.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Tough one..

I made a good paper pattern, but the secondary welt was not quite right when it went to leather. Had to redo the whole thing. Really like the end result, never having used wax to harden leather, before...in this manner.

Pease

Booshway
posted Hide Post
200° is a tad too much heat for the good of the leather. Beeswax melts at around 170°, and even that is a little too hot. The leathers molecular structure begins to suffer if heated much beyond 150°. Especially if left at a higher heat very long. 130/140° is a much safer heat range, and will harden the leather very nicely if it is well dampened first. Not dripping wet, but damp. Simply bake it until dry, then let it cool and oil it. Mineral oil will do.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Wicke,

Does it matter about temperature, based upon which tanning process is used?

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Pease, Nice knife and sheath. The blade reminds me of the Old Time Sharpfinger. They are a favorite of mine.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pease:
Wicke,

Does it matter about temperature, based upon which tanning process is used?

Only veg/bark tanned leather will harden and wax is unnecessary - read here for an in depth discussion of hardened leather -
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu...lson/leather/hl.html

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info. Chuck. That link is very informitive.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice knife and sheath.
The hardening techniques are interesting and could prove useful.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Another approach to getting a "hard" sheath is to make one of metal! Big Grin 'Course, that's a whole 'nother craft right there. Smiler Good lookin' work Pease!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
P.S. Did you make the snow too? Wink Big Grin

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Good job Pease Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I harden mine by putting them into the oven @ 150 and damp. Afterwards I dip them into a mixture of neats foot oil, beeswax and mink oil melted in a crock pot. That way the whole sheath is sealed.

Looking good there.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Mill SC | Registered: 22 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post