muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Hardenened Sheath

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/29510091/m/8264031828

12 December 2012, 11:39 AM
Pease
Hardenened Sheath
Needed to make a sheath for this skinner... It has a unusual shape and the sheath needed to work with a sash. I have been learning different leather hardening techniques and wanted to give this a try. Made the sheath, stained it, and heated it up to 200 degrees and wax formed/hardened the leather. The sheath is rigid and retains the knife tightly...

12 December 2012, 01:41 PM
BCR
Nice work Pease. Looks it fits like a glove.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine
12 December 2012, 02:01 PM
Pease
Tough one..

I made a good paper pattern, but the secondary welt was not quite right when it went to leather. Had to redo the whole thing. Really like the end result, never having used wax to harden leather, before...in this manner.

Pease
12 December 2012, 04:39 PM
WBE
200° is a tad too much heat for the good of the leather. Beeswax melts at around 170°, and even that is a little too hot. The leathers molecular structure begins to suffer if heated much beyond 150°. Especially if left at a higher heat very long. 130/140° is a much safer heat range, and will harden the leather very nicely if it is well dampened first. Not dripping wet, but damp. Simply bake it until dry, then let it cool and oil it. Mineral oil will do.
12 December 2012, 04:59 PM
Pease
Wicke,

Does it matter about temperature, based upon which tanning process is used?
12 December 2012, 05:06 PM
LeeRoy
Pease, Nice knife and sheath. The blade reminds me of the Old Time Sharpfinger. They are a favorite of mine.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.
13 December 2012, 05:26 AM
GreyWolf
quote:
Originally posted by Pease:
Wicke,

Does it matter about temperature, based upon which tanning process is used?

Only veg/bark tanned leather will harden and wax is unnecessary - read here for an in depth discussion of hardened leather -
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu...lson/leather/hl.html

aka Chuck Burrows
13 December 2012, 07:06 AM
LeeRoy
Thanks for that info. Chuck. That link is very informitive.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.
13 December 2012, 08:44 AM
Rifleman1776
Very nice knife and sheath.
The hardening techniques are interesting and could prove useful.
13 December 2012, 04:57 PM
Josh Crain
Another approach to getting a "hard" sheath is to make one of metal! Big Grin 'Course, that's a whole 'nother craft right there. Smiler Good lookin' work Pease!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b
13 December 2012, 04:58 PM
Josh Crain
P.S. Did you make the snow too? Wink Big Grin

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b
13 December 2012, 05:35 PM
<mtnmike>
Good job Pease Wink
24 December 2012, 11:11 PM
JohnnyB
I harden mine by putting them into the oven @ 150 and damp. Afterwards I dip them into a mixture of neats foot oil, beeswax and mink oil melted in a crock pot. That way the whole sheath is sealed.

Looking good there.