New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboy Bowie
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Fresh off the bench. A medium sized basic Bowie knife with a 7" x 1 1/4" x 3/16" blade of 01 tool steel, a through tang peened over a 3/16" thick nickel silver butt cap, 1/8" thick nickel silver guard, and a very nice Sambar elk antler grip. This piece of Sambar elk had barely a hint of pith, if any real pith at all. Very solid and white to the core. I was extremely pleased to find such a nice piece. Hope you enjoy a look.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
very VERY nice!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sweeeeet!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bowie indeed!

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
As always from you, a beautiful knife.
That sambar antler, being solid, is that typical of sambar? I know Axis deer have only a tiny blood line in the center. Just wondering if that is what that really might be. Confused Dunno, just wondering.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I do know Sambar deer are from India......

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rifleman1776:
As always from you, a beautiful knife.
That sambar antler, being solid, is that typical of sambar? I know Axis deer have only a tiny blood line in the center. Just wondering if that is what that really might be. Confused Dunno, just wondering.

Pretty typical, but some has a little bit of pith, but seldom very much. That is one reason Randall, and other makers favored it so much. Some also has like a change from white to a translucent appearing cream color as it progresses toward the center. This piece was white to the core once below the bark. I've seen some Randalls that were so white, they looked as though painted with white lacquer, but in reality, they were just well polished. I first visited Randall knives in 1971. They had a shipping barrel full of their seconds for $3.00 a piece. Most of these seconds were still good enough for nice grips.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Very nice piece. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I love the blade nice job!!!! Smiler

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I like that, great style!!

Posts: 8 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 21 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Wick, you are a master.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post