MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Bladed Weapons    James Black Coffin Handled Knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Black Coffin Handled Knife
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted
In a previous discusion, Joeseph Musso posted some pictures of a coffin handled knife by James Black. In one of the pictures, taken back in 1970, the knife had a deeply clipped point. The next photo is of the knife as it appears now in Norm Flayderman's collection. The knife point now has been extensivley reshaped and looks nothing like it did in 1970.
Does anyone know who reshaped this knife and why? To me it seems like destroying a piece of history!
~Josh

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
And assuming there's no question it's the same knife, it does seem unusual...

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
It is the same knife, but that's about all I know.

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Josh, if you want, I could forward your question to Joe Musso. He may have the story on the regrinding.
tc

Posts: 29 | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tim! That'd be great! Cool
~Josh

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
If someone did reshape a James Black knife, I have some rope if we can get a posse together.

Hugh

never been lost, mighty confused for a month or three but never lost

Posts: 59 | Location: british columbia | Registered: 13 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Josh,

There was a very extensive (several pages, I think) discussion of this knife on this forum back in 2011. Go up to the top of this page to the little "Find" icon, click it, and type in "Musso" to search. There was a lot of good information, and your questions may be answered.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I would be very surprised if Joe would name names, or give any details about the matter that might lead to an accusation on a public forum. I believe the best you can do is simply follow the ownership trail, and draw your own conclusions. There are at least two scenarios that may have taken place. More I suppose if you are imaginative, but I suspect the real truth of the re-grind will go to the grave with the perpetrator.
By the way, I do not have solid confirmation on this, but I was told that the Musso Bowie is now owned by Phil Collins.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Notchy Bob:
Josh,

There was a very extensive (several pages, I think) discussion of this knife on this forum back in 2011. Go up to the top of this page to the little "Find" icon, click it, and type in "Musso" to search. There was a lot of good information, and your questions may be answered.

Notchy Bob

Thanks, Bob. I've already read the discussion you recomended. That's where I first learned of the reshaping of the blade. One fellow, Rick Mack, previous owner of the knife did mention that "As the knife was passed along someone altered the style of the blade as shown in the new Flayderman book, and Musso's posting."
Also, let me rephrase myself. Joseph Musso never said that the knife was made by James Black but that it was a "James Black Coffin Handled Knife," evidently meaning that the handle was of the same make as those made by James Black. The knife itself is unmarked as to who its maker was.
I've included two photos of the knife. One before it was reworked and the other of afterwards. These are the same photos that Mr. Musso included in the aforementiond discussion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Josh Crain,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Also to mention, Black never signed any of his knives, making for some difficulties in IDing any of his work.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
How do we know which knives he made if he never signed them?