Notify
Tools

Damascus Steel
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Shoshone linked it....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Simply fascinating. Thank you everyone for sharing!

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
the knifesmith at our tavern hammered several different types of steel together last weekend to make a Damascus chief knife,i don't remember the exat number of folds but it was over 1ooo,he said it was incredibly hard and the more he folded the blade started to "flake",little pieces started peeling off,i didn't stay to see the end result,but I talked to him later in the week and he said he just might be able to pull it off,it was his first try at it so I hope (fingures crossed) that it does

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see how it turns out...

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
will do

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in making knives, there are damascus billets that can be bought for not much to very expensive depending on the pattern. Grandpa Mier (sp) makes very complicated pattern blanks for sale. All this relative, it doesnt belong in historically based settings. Here is a ticonderoga style knife I made from hi tension cable. Surface looks like fish scales

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
So how'd you do it?...Cut the cable crosswise,and then forge weld?