New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia poll ax
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Anybody here have experience with the R.E. Davis company Virginia poll ax? I like the looks of it. I have a little fort megs ax that I reshaped the head and made a hickory handle for it. It's just really small and lite.

Posts: 549 | Location: SC | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pretty good ax for $45.00

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3833 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Is that the Larry Zorn style hawk.If it is I highly recommend it.
Nit Wit

Posts: 6 | Location: Livermore, Maine | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods loper:
Anybody here have experience with the R.E. Davis company Virginia poll ax? I like the looks of it. I have a little fort megs ax that I reshaped the head and made a hickory handle for it. It's just really small and lite.

Personally, I don't care for the looks of it. Looks too much like a modern roofing hatchet.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
i have the panther primative version,it keeps a good edge and throws pretty good,i have a blacksmith friend of mine re-shaping a old roofing hatchet for cutting firewood,a little bit more weight,gonna use it to cut stringers and drive wedges

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
I agree, it is too roofing-hatchet like. My guess is the original is more like mid 19th century. I'm waiting to see if anything like this is found archaeologically from a dateable site. So far, I haven't seen one.

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post