MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Bladed Weapons    Anyone Make a Half Tang Butcher Knife?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Make a Half Tang Butcher Knife?
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted
I was wondering if anyone knows of a company or individual who makes a PC half tang knife in the style of J. Wilson or other 1830's style butcher knives?

I know J. Adams LTD makes a 19th century pattern butcher knife. Here's their link: http://www.sheffieldknives.co....g/Miscellaneous.html

But their's are full un-tapered tangs. Seems like most of the originals were half tangs, or at least tapered towards the back if full tangs.

I am looking for a 6 inch blade, half tang, and 4 or 5 iron pins in the handle. Does anyone produce or make a "new knife" like this?

Or will I just have to find and buy an original...

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Hunter, First, please allow me to speak up a bit about the John Nowill & Sons LTD. knives that you provided the web page for. Those are very good knives and they are marked the way they should be for portraying a knife from the early 1800s. The blade markings are stamped and they do not say "Made in England." They just say "Sheffield" for the place of manufacture. I have more than one of those knives and they please me rather well. Now, about your question of half-tang knives made today, Slater Knives (http://slaterknives.co.uk/products/general_cutlery.asp) also of England does make a half-tang steak knife. You can see it on the page indicated but no other information is given. You will probably be satisfied by getting an older knife and using it. Meanwhile, you might be getting some better answers to your question. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
'Hunter, Take a look at this knife on eBay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintag...&hash=item256fc274e8

Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
With the contry name it's a post 1890's knife. As for being hand forged - guess it all depends on you define the term but in this case it's basically advertising blather, In fact it would have been forged with a die and with the use of water or steam powered trip hammer and ground to final shape with a large (3-6 ft diameter) stone wheel. It then would have been polished by a memeber of a different guild - over all there would not ne just one maker.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the contry name it's a post 1890's knife.

Yes, but it is a real Wilson. That's good doin's to a lot of folks. Shoot sharp, Mike

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I ended up taking my full tang knife and cutting it down to a half tang. Then I tapered the tang towards the back and re-pinned the handle. I also ground down the blade to match an original scale drawing I have of a Wilson. It turned out nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beaver Hunter,

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Beaver, Yes, that did turn out nice. Now you should make more for the rest of us. Shoot sharp, Mike

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep. Looks very good.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree it turned out really fine, I like the look of it.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
That's about as good as you are going to get. The angles of the scales look good and I believe either three pins or 4 pins in a T pattern was the most common- based upon Miller's drawings (that usually just show one pin on the knife handle protruding above the top of the sheath). Most of the scalpers didn't have a pin there- they had three pins but all in the half tang area. Of course, differences did exist, there are scalpers with two piece handles and three pins over the entire length but generally- what you have is very PC butcher knife IMHO.
Why did you have to grind down your own tang? We are interested in this hobby but there probably just aren't enough folks out there to buy a commercially made product. Too bad. I know the Russell knives are good but why do they keep making the sheepherder style, etc when they just as easily could make PC butchers, scalpers, etc.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 09 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Beaver, River Traders in Oregon makes a very good Red Handled Scalper that is half-tanged. I just got one while at the Pacific Primitive doin's. This is a good knife with a 6 3/4" blade plus a fine sheath. It was copied from an original blade that Dean Oliver has in his collection. Dean took only three of them to this week-long rendezvous and sold them all on his first day of business at this doin's. Dean is the maker who uses the "Canoe" as his touchmark. If you want to contact Dean about his knives just send a note to rivertraders@hotmail.com. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! I will have to contact him. I am also looking for a good scalping knife too. His sound like good ones!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Beaver, Just in case you send him a note soon, he won't be home from rendezvous for a week. Shoot sharp, Mike

Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here is my second attempt at modifying a knife to match an original. This time I started with a half-tang post 1890 marked Wilson butcher knife that matched the profile of an original from the 1830's. The markings were not very deep on this knife and the blade was in perfect shape. I ground off the later markings without really changing the thickness of the blade. I then polished the blade, made new beechwood handle scales and pinned it with the five pin pattern. I made the sheath using thick veg-tanned leather and correct one piece cast brass tacks from the Trunk Shoppe.

I feel that this "new" knife is a good representation of a common butcher knife carried by the original mountaineers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beaver Hunter,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Very good.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
This one looks good too.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Booshway
posted Hide Post
That loook like it would pass muster most anywhere with anyone to me, nice job!

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post