New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fur on a knife sheath
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I have a new Old Hickory 14" Butcher Knife that is due to be picked up from the saddle maker's shop wearing a new, with fringe, leather sheath, aaannnnyyyyy daaaayyyy nooowwww. As I have had a decent time to think about this said sheath, I have been wondering if/how to add a bit of rabbit fur and beads to purty it up a bit. I haven't seen the finished product yet, but if anybody would like to share pics/advise of their furry knife blankets, I would be greatly interested and much obliged.

I also have plans to purty up the knife too, so if you have creative ways that you have used fur in the styling of your knife send those pics/advise too. I hope to post a before and after pic of my new knife. Thanks.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
In the leather shop owner's defense, he does work a full time real job and has recently opened in a new location which as greatly increased his business traffic. (Seems bikers had a whole bunch of broke zippers piled up in their garage just waiting on someone like him to open up.) I'm really glad to see hard working American businesses succeed today. Its getting rare. And the guy has a killer handle-bar mustache, so its hard to get to mad.

Anyway, any/all information on the above question is much and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Just me, but I can't think of any reason to put fur on a knife sheath to begin with.
If the knife is like most of the Old Hickory knives I've seen, the name is nice and big on the handle. Sand off the name, maybe stain it a darker color, give it a coat or two of BLO and be done with it.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Here's one I made from a bull elk leg and left the hair on.

Posts: 51 | Location: kalispell montana | Registered: 23 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Patrick, I have two sheaths that I covered with Buffalo hide (fur on). At the time that I did them, I thought that it might have been something that they did during the trapping era but now I am not real sure. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable people here can advise you (and me)on that.

As for the Old Hickory's, go to You Tube and search Old Hickory Mods. You will find a wealth of things to do with them. They will be "now day" mods but interesting none the less. I don't think the Old hickory came into being until the turn of the 20th century though, so they may not be what you really need to be period correct.

As for "prettying things up"..........REALLY? Just an old man's opinion but you might want to stay with what is PC for your persona.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Patrick, After re-reading what I posted, please don't think I am a know it all or a smart A$$. I was just voicing an opinion. I wouldn't use Rabbit fur for anything but, other than that it's your hobby, listen to folks in the know then do what you think is right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Iche Iia,

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Why not? It is yer knife. Fix to suit yerself.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post