Find
Notify
Tools

Kit Carson Machete?
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted
Been enjoying a good read..John S.C. Abbott's Christopher Carson:Familiarly Known as Kit Carson has been reprinted from the 1920s.
On page 133 it describes Kit's dress which includes "..and knee high leggings in which he carried his machete, or long two-edged knife in the Mexican style"
This has me intrigued. I've never heard the term "machete" used to describe a knife (or short sword) in the SW before.
By description, it is double edged. By conjecture, it couldn't have been very long..Kit was only 5'8".
I'm thinking this could just be a term used by the author to describe Kit's fighting knife..or was it an actual type of knife used in the SW?
I'm hoping maybe some of the knife people here at the Campfire might have some answers.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
¡Hola!, Deercop

My guess would be that he is describing an espada ancha. There is more information and some pretty good photos in the link. There was an article about this particular type of short sword in a back issue of the Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, also. I can look up the citation on that if you're interested.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Book of Buckskinning IV, article entitled'Styles of the Southwest', by Cathy Bauman describes fairly well various styles of edged implements in use during the era in Mexico. Breed leggings or botas very useful and comfortable. I like um.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Notchy Bob,
I considered the espada anchas, but they are too long. If Kit carried one of these tucked into his legging, it couldn't have been longer than 14" blade. I'm 5'8", and anything longer than that would have the point into the ground!

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Spanish Belduque? This one has a 10" blade with a 6" false edge, 14 3/4" overall

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
IMO - this is a case of an author not knowing his subject well and/or overusing Roget's...

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Longhunter, that blade and sheath are things of beauty!!! How did you come by them? Have a Great Day, Flintlockjoe.

Posts: 45 | Location: Rockland County, NY | Registered: 29 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NWTF Longhunter:
Maybe a Spanish Belduque? This one has a 10" blade with a 6" false edge, 14 3/4" overall

Beautiful knife and sheath.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others I like the knife and the sheath.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Actually it looks as if it just stepped out of a museum show case. I like.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
FYI - Ron's belduque (a copy of an original) is by Joe Delaronde - the sheath is by me.......

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
I just got home from a long weekend. Thanks for answering for me Chuck

I'm looking forward to seeing the sheath for my latest knife that you said you're sending out today. Smiler

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post