Find
Notify
Tools

Axe leather guard
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Don't know about you guys... but I need all the protection I can get. Big Grin

Put this leather haft guard in place on a trade axe I am working on...simple way to protect your tool..

And here is the stitching method...

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea, think I will do the same might just save myself a handle or two. That's a nice baseball stitch by the way.

Posts: 44 | Location: ohio territory | Registered: 02 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Think the next time, I will use a piece of thick rawhide...wet it and let it dry/shrink in place...

Pease

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good idea and it looks good too. I have piece of rawhide that should work just fine. I will have to try it out.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Pease,
One question- does the attached guard fit well within the carring sheath/axe guard? Does it interfer in getting the axe out of and back into the carrying sheath? I am assuming you carry your axe in a belt or sling type sheath.

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Neither,...

It is for my haversack knapsack conversion.

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
That's a nice idea, Pease. Many's the time I've swung with my axe and damaged the wood right under the blade by an inacurate blow. (I'm a better aim now! Big Grin) That leather would, for the most part, prevent that. Great thinking.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post