MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Bladed Weapons    My reworked green river Butcher.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My reworked green river Butcher.
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
So picked up a Green River 8 inch butcher knife off Ebay.

Reprofied the blade and added a new handle.

ended up messing up the handle the first time.
So redid it again today.

Kinda going for a french style knife may still profile it some more, but kinda like the way it looks now.
Also have some leather coming to make a couple sheaths for some other knife and this one.
This is my first time doing this.

LMK what you think.

Posts: 12 | Location: Canada | Registered: 16 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
that's some nice work there. It's practical and a good knife to start with... now it sure looks better!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I think you are on to something there sir! Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. I hope to do more in the future. Just need some better tools. Drill press and bandsaw would be helpful.

Posts: 12 | Location: Canada | Registered: 16 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
I know what you are saying Frowner I would love a bandsaw Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Really nice job you did. Its always fun to reshape gear to fit your needs.
I also know all about "messing up the handle" the first time... LOL
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Great job DS!! How did you treat the blade to get a more authentic finish/color? I have a Green River Dadley that I need to do. I like what you did.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Great job on that knife. I have three old butcher knives I need to get back to and finish.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Say...that's not bad at all...and I like how you also re-worked the grip, so you have a nice looking knife with a nice piece of steel.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I did a vinegar Patina on it.

thanks for the comments.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Nice job.

Posts: 29 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of kopfjaeger
posted Hide Post
Good job. Blade and handle look really good.

" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Posts: 51 | Registered: 07 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post

Finally got around to making a sheath for this knife.
Nothing special. Still needs some finishing.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Good work!

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
looks good

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Did some leather work to my Frontier Hawk to go with my knife.

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Very nice work!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
been awhile but finally did another knife.
this time I used a old hickory hop or cabbage knife.
Not quiet finished yet. Going to patina the blade and stain the handle.
then I'll make a sheath for it.

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Once again, nice work.
What area of Canada are you from?
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post