MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Bladed Weapons    Scabbard For An American Hanger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scabbard For An American Hanger
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Iron mounted scabbard for a Willyard/Secrest 24" bladed hanger. Copied/inspired from an original 18th c. scabbard which I assume to have been English. Throat and drag was made from 22 ga. sheet steel. Locket/frog button was filed from 1/8" steel, and brazed to the throat and post. A 20D nail was used to make the post. The drag/chape was hammer shaped over a form in two pieces, then brazed together. The leather is 7/8oz vege-tan, with a center seam sewn with linen thread. Lightly dyed with Fiebings British tan sprits dye, and oiled. Both mounts were lightly aged to match the sword, and glued to the leather. Hope you enjoy a look.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice !!!!

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
WBE

That is one nice briar cutter and scabbard.
It would fit nicely into a early long hunters
gear.

Great Work

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice work.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Very nice! How do you make the metal caps for the sheath? And how do they attach to the leather?

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Josh, the throat is formed by bending the metal around the leather with the blade inserted, or with a spacer in the scabbard. You can also use a form the size you need. It is fitted to be a butt joint centered up the back, and brazed together. The frog button is brazed on, and the entry cap is soldered on with a 95/5 cadmium/silver high strength solder which flows at 650°. The drag/chape/tip piece is done using this basic method. http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/nssheath.html

The throat and tips are glued on. You can use epoxy for max strength, or cutlers resin for PC. I started out using retaining pins with the glue, but found that the vast majority of originals were simply glued. I see only a low number of originals with pins in the tip, and none with pins in the throat. There are a few with other means of being secured, but not many, as long as we are discussing 18th c.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WBE,

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post