Find
Notify
Tools

Frog?
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted
I hope that I can describe this correctly. I just did some "horse trading" at a rendezvous last weekend with a friend for a knife and sheath.

Except for being about 2 1/2 inches shorter, the knife is pretty close to the one Jim Bowie used at the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836 during the Texas Revolution. It's fake of course with a stainless blade but it fit my hand well and will be used for non-period chores.

My question is about the sheath, It's also cheap but to the untrained eye it looks "pretty". It has, for no other word that I can think of, a button on the back rather than a belt loop or other such things. Is this for a Frog? or is it for something else?

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good description of a frog to me....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That is called a locket, frog button, or throat button, and maybe a few other names. A frog is the leather collar like sheath that the scabbard slips into, and is retained by the locket via a slit, button type hole or sometimes a small strap on the frog.
I did not know that Jim Bowie lived to fight at the San Jacinto battle.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Iche Iia
posted Hide Post
Thanks WBE. You had a much better description of a frog than I did but we were both thinking the same thing.

As for the accuracy of the 1836 date. I have to admit that I took it from the magazine that referenced the knife and the date without checking it myself. Yes it would have been a "ghostly" trick for Bowie to have been there a month AFTER the Alamo fell.

Iche Iia

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Posts: 379 | Location: Prince George, Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post