Find
Notify
Tools

A Frontier still life...
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted
In 50 years of building knives and hawks this is the first spike hawk I've ever done, but now that I've got the bug so to speak it won't be the last.

This one is in fact a three way collaboration:
1) The iron head with steel bit was forged by mi compadre, the late Gib Guignard
2) The spike was handforged out of iron by another compadre and neighbor Jerry Rodri
3) Assembly, all decorative work, and aging were done by me - deco on the tiger striped maple handle includes: rawhide wraps, brass and iron tacks, brass wire.
The other items:
1) 28ga Smoothbore by Tom Stroh
2) Re-Handled English style scalper - the blade, hand forged by Gib Guignard, is made of original shear steel. Grip and deco by me
3) Powder Horn - original from SW Virginia area, has two dates scratched into it 1791 and 1825. I re-furbished it by repairing the cracks at the butt with rawhide, added a longer antler tip and the beaded strap.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I would say Top Job !!

I like the works that you do, I wish that my crafting was 1/2 as good.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
All the items in that pic are exceptional.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Everything looks terrifc thank you sharing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Wow...that is nice lookin!! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking outfit.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work, Chuck! I really like it!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of markinmi.
posted Hide Post
Wow keep em coming

Posts: 625 | Location: North of Detroit Mi | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
You can't beat Chucks pictures but here's one of mine, titled Bear hunters arsenal, A .62cal Jager,and a .69cal double pistol

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted Hide Post
Another one, Spirit of the Frontier. .62 smoothbore, Spanish Trade knife, a replica of Squire Boons hawk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWTF Longhunter,

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post