Notify
Tools

Couple a knew patchknives
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted
I've got two more patchknives here.

The Antler handled knife I just finished up today, and it is currently aging in a mixture of coal dust, water, and vinegar.

The wood handled knife just got mailed out today to a customer.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Somebody is mighty lucky to get a knife like that Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice, I especially like that antlered handled one.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Very nice work.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Can you tell us more about this coal dust, water, vinegar mixture?

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Sure, Patrick. I create a mud of blacksmiths coal dust, water, and sometimes vinegar and bury the blade in it. Then I wrap the whole thing in wet paper towel to keep it moist, I usually let it sit for about about 24 hrs before it's aged to my liking. A faster, yet potentially more hazardous method is to get a cloth, wrap your blade metal in it and then soak it with bleach. Let it sit for about an hour and you should have a pretty nicely aged finish. Be careful with this method, though. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and wear rubber gloves. If you leave it too long you can ruin your steel. Unless you're makin something that looks like its from the ancient Vikings. Wink also, make sure that the cloth you use dosen't have any patterns on it. I once aged a knife using the bleach method, but had it wrapped in flower pattern paper towel. My knife came out with a nicely etched flower pattern all over it. Lol. Big Grin oh, and you'll wanna clean up the steel from any excessive rust and corrosion. I use steel wool and oil. The oil allows the steel wool clean the blade without actually ever scratching the surface. There are about as many ways to age a blade as there are people doing it. These are the two methods I use. Oh, and they both produce very distinctive looks. The coal dust will give a mottled grey/black colour. The bleach gives more of a rusty brown. Experiment with it, vary your times, your conditions, add stuff, change stuff, mess around with the process til u find what works best. Smiler

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
You do some VERY nice work there Josh! The antler handle really looks nice and it's contour would fit well in the hand for a comfortable hold on tedious work. You are a gifted craftsman!

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks! I'm glad you like my work. Smiler

Booshway
Picture of wattlebuster
posted Hide Post
Good work on both. Im a sucker for the antler handled knives though Smiler

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a crisp frosty morning

Posts: 354 | Location: Heart of DIXIE | Registered: 18 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stone Fence
posted Hide Post
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing how you age the metal. I'll tuck that knowledge away for a future project.

My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 20 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Josh,do you have a web site with your repertoire,and prices?I'm a sucker for a nice knife.I just have to see if I can afford it....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice knives. Smiler

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Hey Boartooth... save your nickles, dimes and quarters because Josh's knives are very nice, not terribly expensive, but worth every penny!! I was the customer he sent the top patch knife to. I sent him a drawing and he made it exactly to my specs. I've never before had a patch knife that fits my hand so well, is so well balanced and keeps an edge like the one Josh made for me. I could go on, but suffice to say, I'm a satisfied and very happy customer of his.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice,Mounty.Yeah,I know handmade knives are pricey,but worth it.Especially considering I'm left-handed,I s'pect it'll be a special piece of work.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I'm left-handed also. Fits me perfectly.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post