New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep Skinner
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Finished her up this morning. The blade is a Green River blank, scales are curled maple with Fieblings Tan. Hand scraped the wood and two coats of tung oil

Sheath is a original design by yours truly. Hard to design a skinner sheath with this much bow. 4 oz veg tan with stain and wax hardened.

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks good Pease.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nice Pease. Say, this may be a dumb question (which I'm known for anyhow), but is a sheep skinner made for . . . skinning sheep? Makes me wonder if skinning sheep called for special blades, and why specifically. I've skint a large few lambs. Skint one with an obsidian blade---once.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Great design! I would have kept my Russel/Green River knife if the sheath would have kept it in place but not having a finger guard there's just nothing for the thong to grab on to. Looks like you came up with a good solution to that problem, you do nice work.

Posts: 111 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
great knife and better sheath!

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Love what you have done with the Green River. I actually made a GR knife like this from 1095. Love the shape.

I have tried Raw hide sheaths but never seem to get the look I want. Mine always look like new work when I want an antique look.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Mill SC | Registered: 22 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet pair. I like the design of the sheath, would it be possible to post a pic of the back of it?

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Looks good, great job!

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Nice blade there, Pease. I like your leather working, too. Great job!

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Pease, you do some really fine work there. Both the sheath & knife are first rate.

Posts: 721 | Location: TriCities, WA | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post