New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric knife sharpeners
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I know this is probably heresy here, but has anyone used one of the three stage electrical knife sharpeners like the ones sold by Bass Pro Shops? I am looking at one for general use, but would not like to spend $100 on one if they aren't very good. Thanks.

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
I saw the title of your topic and thought, "SACRALIGE!!!!" Big Grin I don't know much about electric sharpeners except for the fact that every one I've ever used was not worth a dime. They put an edge on the blade but at too sharp of an angle. And it was more of a saw blade that a razor sharp blade if you know what I mean. My personal opinion: STAY AWAY FROM ELECTRIC SHARPENERS!!!! Big Grin

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Even if you have a good electric sharpener, the problem is that it gives an exact angle which you must match if you freshen up the edge of the knife in the field, otherwise, you will have to spend a lot of time with you hand stones in the field to get back an edge without dull spots due to the imprecision of your hand, and then if you switch back to electric, you have to start from the top again....,

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
I have one of the 3 stage sharpeners that I use to sharpen household knifes. My wife insists on glass cutting boards, and they are really tough on knife edges.
I've been happy with it for it's purpose. I got it on the recommendation of a professional butcher. Figured he knew a thing or two about sharpening knifes.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback and for not shooting me! Maybe I can get away with just night watch duty for a little while!

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
My ol'Pappy used ta say leave them new fangled gadgets to city folk....Actually he was a Master Machinist,and taught me young how to sharpen a knife properly,with a stone,by hand,now I can't stand those electric abominations.Once you get the "feel",you can get a much keener edge.It's also easier to maintain them in the field,as has been mentioned.It is worth the effort of learning to do it by hand,and spend a few bucks getting a decent two-sided stone.There's really something satisfying about being able to shave with a blade you sharpened,just don't slip.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post