Find
Notify
Tools

French Hawk (pic added)
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of NWTF Longhunter
posted
Anyone like em? I had one many years ago and loved it. It was oversized but it had the traditional shape of the early Francisca hawk. I got pretty good at throwing it and won quite a few hawk matches with it.

I ended up loosing it, or I should say leaving it over 30 years ago at an over night camp site along the north shore of Lake Superior on the Canadian Provincial Park. This is a remote section that runs for many miles along the Lake. I've wondered over the years if anyone ever found it and wondered if it had been left by some early French Voyager...

Anyway, I'm going to make some of these hawks/axe's and add them to my web site, I think they're cool.

Here's some history on the origin of the Francisca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWTF Longhunter,

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ron, I have to ask, did you go back to look for it? Shoot sharp, Mike

Posts: 3531 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ron, I have to ask, did you go back to look for it? Shoot sharp, Mike

Mike, that trip with a 26' North Canoe was over 100 miles along the north shore of Lake Superior and took about a week to cover. It was one of those, "once you passed a place there was no going back" kind of trips.

Posts: 797 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Spotted Bull
posted Hide Post
I like that design a lot. Looks like its just made for throwing!

It is pitiful when a man lets his ego push his intelligence beyond his ignorance.

Posts: 55 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like that design a lot. Looks like its just made for throwing!

If you click on the link you'll see that's what it was used for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, that axe was a dark ages weapon and did not make it to the 18th (or even 14th century).

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I understand it, that axe was a dark ages weapon and did not make it to the 18th (or even 14th century).

Absolutely correct! No one in America would have used a Francisca unless it had been brought over by some French fellow who had it passed down through the generations by some distant ancestor. However, as has been documented often in the past, tools and weapons have a remarkable propensity for being carried and used by the unlikeliest of people because of the unlikeliest of circumstances. The real point is, though, that the Francisca was used by forerunners of the French, and French craftsmen from the 15th-18th centuries often gave their products a certain flair that English and Germanic implements simply didn’t have.

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Ron, Is that Carlton Matteo's touch mark on that blade, or someone elses?

How much are you selling those for, by the way? I like the look.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post