New
Find
Notify
Tools

knife sharping
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
I finally got my hands on an original K-Bar that I would love to get a keen edge to,any suggestions?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtnmike:
I finally got my hands on an original K-Bar that I would love to get a keen edge to,any suggestions?
Well, there are several ways, but what has been the easiest, quickest, best way for me is as follows;
1) I put a very fine grade of sandpaper in a 4" belt sander and use that put an edge on knives in 1-2 minutes;
2) Then after every use, I simply pull one of the Smith's style sharpeners down the edge 3-4 times to keep the edge razor sharp;

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sm...UM9:20131201200933:s

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, using powered forms of sharpening, in a dry mode, actually burns the micro edge enough to lose the temper in it. Even using a dry stone by hand does this to a degree. Power, carefully used, is fine to establish an edge, but it should be followed up by hand power on a fine stone using oil or water for a longer lasting edge. This is also the reason files dull with use, even when used correctly. Friction!

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
mtnmike I have two K Bar and take loving care of both!!!I have a piece of 3/8" glass with 220 grit glued one one side and 400 wet/dry on the other,,Once I get a edge with the 220 I finish off with the 400 w/d and that is it.I carry a small stone with me for touch up as needed.Never would I put my blade on anything powered,if it is that bad,you are abusing a fine knife,,IMMHO.
I have a set made by K Bar, knife and hatchet with Goldenyellow handles,carrying case rotted out long ago,but the two tools are still going strong.These and my other one ,all made in America.Takes awhile to get them sharp but they stay that way for a long time.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Time and effort on whet stones.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
Never would I put my blade on anything powered,if it is that bad,you are abusing a fine knife
LOL...Forums...ya just gotta love'em.

By that claim I've been "abusing" my knives for a good quarter of a century now...I guess the poor things don't realize they've been abused for decades, given that they're still in outstanding condition and all

Wink

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I guess thats why they are called inanimate objects,they don't know they are being abused.

Posts: 54 | Location: SW Washington | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by punjab:
they don't know
Yeah, I've noticed on every forum there's always some "they don't know" surfacing...in spite of obvious first hand evidence to the contrary...LOL

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
posted Hide Post
"Never would I" Key word in this statement,,"I" also IMMHO "I" have a Bench Grinder for grinding "I" have multi "sharpening stones' for sharpening.You can use what ever method "you" want to.. "I" sharpen my cutting tools by hand, using stones and some sanding papers and grind my mower blades on a power grinder,cause they get abused,,they hit hard objects.
Once you have a sharp edge on a knife,, what would you use it for that it would ever need to be reground,unless you were/are abusing it or using it improperly???
I

"Yeah, I've noticed on every forum there's always some "they don't know" surfacing...in spite of obvious first hand evidence to the contrary...LOL
Then there is the other side of the coin!!

"I guess thats why they are called inanimate objects,they don't know they are being abused".
The House Brothers build rifles,(inanimate objects)??????????
See you up the trail,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walking Crow,

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
If you're trying to provoke a fight, go bother somebody else as I'm not interested.
What you said right after my post about using my belt sander is quoted below and I simply replied to it.

quote:
Never would I put my blade on anything powered,if it is that bad,you are abusing a fine knife

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Provoke a fight ,,not me,,I just wrote a responce and like others,wrote my opinion on the posting.
Reading back on the postings,,I dont read where I took anything, that was written, personal or felt I might be being slighted or attacked.
At no time did I write, you were abusing you knife, I wrote my opinion as it applied to the broad subject being discussed.
And then I went out this AM looking for the elusive deer,wet miserable weather,6"new snow and 34+,dripping wet snow everywhere.Setting by the stove working on cleaning Mjolnir,maybe this PM . The only deer I see this year you posted,or are on the game camera,,, ha ha ha
Keeping my knife sharp,,just in case,See you up the trail,coffees alway hot.

Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Actually, I use both.
I have a powered sharpener that I mostly use on my wife's kitchen knifes (she tends to really abuse them), or new knifes that I have purchased that I want to change the grind angle on.
Most of the time I use stones or crocksticks.

Hey, if it weren't for differences of opinion, we wouldn't learn anything new here.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Well, I do things the old fashion way. I have two knives (a nice folding Buck and a tanto); the Buck is over 40 years old and still perfect and the tanto only about 20.

I still have the 40+ year old sharpening kit I got with the Buck and it has two stones and a can of oil. I patiently sharpen them both on those stones and they stay sharp. Got a folding saw I won for bones. From time to time I also use a sharpening steel for touch-up.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had a problem with his powered grinder, seems his power source (my father) sometimes got a little carried away. Pop said grandpa would get on to him and tell him to slow down before he took the temper outa the blade. Knowing my father he pushed his luck a little bit.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Well I appreciate everyone replying to Brian,I for one never could sharpen a knife, takes a long time for me to field dress a critter,just can't keep an edge.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I hear ya, 'Mike. I'm just a get by kinda guy. I enjoy sharpening, but I can't get 'er to shaving sharp. Plenty good for skinning'n'butchering, but that's about it.

Now you take ol' Crossfox, why he can shave 'er down till you can split a frog's hair just by pointin' at it . . .

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Got myself a Spyderco sharpening kit a couple years back. That was the ticket for my knives. Scary sharp! Still though, I gotta admit not near as sharp as ol'xfox can get a knife. At least from what I hear. Why I didn't even know there was frogs in all that ice??
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh....I can get a blade sharp,but don't think it'll be shaving sharp......I'm just gonna wait and see if'n I can pick up any tips from Y'all.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
While some don't care for them I use a Lansky sharpener and can get my knives to where they shave a patch of hair off my arm.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If razor sharp is desired, the angle of the edge must be decreased from the norm a few degrees when stoning, then stropped with a fine polishing compound on a leather strop. Green chrome rouge works very well, but red rouge is better, although it takes a little longer. How you strop is also important. Start with the edge facing you, push away then flip over to bring it back. This way you do not roll the edge on the strop when changing direction. Watch a barber sometime. The problem with a true razor edge is that it is not as strong as a 20° or 22° edge, and will dull faster.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post