New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green River Fish knife
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Anyone seen or handled one of these knives?It looks a lot like the old Rabbit knife. Was wondering what they are like as a user.This would be more the kitchen box knife or for general camp chores. Not your "bushy crafter "type knife.
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.co...er-knife-review.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trail1,

Posts: 12 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
works real good fer cleanin' fish, anyways. i used one at a fishin' derby cleanin' trout; it wuz th' cat's meee-oooow! great knife fer gen'ral cookin' chores,as long as ye don't mind a residual fishy taste in yer bacon. might git uncomfortable usin' it fer scalpin' er guttin' work, though; i think them teeth on the back 'd git hung up in th' scalpee's h'ar, ya see. on t'other hand, ef ye hadta saw yer laig off....oh, well.
mind yer topknot!
windy

Posts: 485 | Location: wetside o' washington | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wat Windy said.
I think I have one in my cabinet. Handy 'usin' knife at low cost. Will work in camp and the woods. And, best part, you won't cry if you lose it.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Used one for many years, just ordered some blades from Dixie, and have son antler, and mahogony that i want to handle them with...paid $12.00, and worth all of that....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
"Fish knife"?? The knife in the review (where the guy insists on using it as a froe) is the standard Green River "Hunter" knife.

A Green River Fish knife probably hasn't been made in quite some time.

No, it's not mine. The pic was stolen from the internetz. Wink

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I know .but it is still advertised as "fish" knife on some web sites. The first thing the bushie crowd ask is "can you baton with it"?Seems its not good enough if you cant hack up oak stumpsSmiler Me I use a knife to cut with and carry an axe for my chopping needs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trail1,

Posts: 12 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
Dexter-Russell markets that knife, as well as the finished (handle installed) version of the "Ripper" blade, as "fish knives." Both have the coarsely checkered handle scales, presumably so you can hold on to the knife with slimy hands.

Crazy Crow has these, but you can also order the directly from the factory outlet. I don't have the link handy, but it isn't hard to find.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 332 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post