MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Bladed Weapons    What did Osbourne Russell carry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did Osbourne Russell carry?
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
We have discussed cheap butcher knives, so now I would like to know who makes the BEST new mountain man style butcher knives like Osbourne Russell used in "Journal of a Trapper?" The book's time period is 1834 to 1843. He traveled west with Wyeth and stayed the rest of his life, retiring in Oregon. What current knives/makers are the most accurate for this time?

Also, what knife would a greenhorn camp keeper carry?

"...having Providence for their founder and Nature for shepherd, gardener, and historian."

Posts: 44 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Probably what he used was Wilson butcher knives, as they seem to be the staple of the trade. Fort Hall inventories of 1834 list 8" and 9" butcher knives as well as Indian knives (scalpers ?), but I can't anything specific as to brand. Wyeth's inventories of cached goods for the same year list both butcher knives and red handled Indian knives, presumably the well known red handled scalper. Ashley inventories of 1827 specify Wilson knives, both scalpers and butchers, as do 1835 inventories aboard the steam boat "Diana" consigned to the Upper Missouri Outfit. I mention the Ashley and UMO inventories only to illustrate the position and relevance of Wilson knives to the fur trade of the period. I once read a compilation of items which Osbourn Russell purchased during his stay at Ft. Hall in 1834 and he purchased butcher knives, I suppose for his own use as in his journal he described his knives as butcher knives. He also purchased scalpers but they were purchased with other trade goods, I imagine to trade to Indians for services (seamstresses?). The Novell knives may be the closest you can get now, although for some of us pinning slabs on a green river butcher as already discussed suffices. Camp keepers would probably use the same butcher knives as most everyone got their stuff from the company. Could do some research but that's my best guess. Trade knives were cheap. The fact that they went through so many suggests that they used the same trade knives that went west by the hundreds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scoundrel,

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I suppose if you look hard enough you can get a Wilson.

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
If you look around you might find a copy of the book "Supply and demand" by Olvier McCloskey and Scott Olsen...it has copies of fur trade ledgers...but more important for this thread several good clear photos of Wilson or other makers trade knives....
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andy*:
If you look around you might find a copy of the book "Supply and demand" by Olvier McCloskey and Scott Olsen...it has copies of fur trade ledgers...but more important for this thread, the book has several good clear photos of Wilson or other makers trade knives....
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You can also find pictures of Wilson trade knives in the "Museum of The Fur Trade Quarterly" volume 14 no. 3 Fall 1978. Still available from the museum of the fur trade.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice from Andy on obtaining a copy of "Supply and Demand" if your interests run to the early 1800s fur trade. The place to get it is Scott Olsen, phone 406-834-3227.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
You really can't loose with a Wilson or any butcher coming out of Sheffield England.

Rio

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post