Notify
Tools

Hudson's Bay Camp Axe ...
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted
Here is my camp axe.
Its an older one 1930's or so and the handle is hickory stained with nitric acid.
This gets lots of use.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I like the blade with the cutout. The color of the handle is very attractive.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
I like that a lot Andy. What is the length of the handle?

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
The tomahawk with heart cut out I won at a candle shoot.
The handle on the axe is 17 inches overall.
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've got an older Hudson as well( not as old as yours;+)) I made about 3/4 axe size in length. Super handy around camp n out woods running. Usually I carried it tied horizontal on top of my pack. Sweet swing n holds a good edge. PS liken the color of yer handle

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Andy, I really like the lines of that camp ax. It reeks of efficiency and mechanical advantage. The old timers really knew how to design something functional, yet beautiful. I've been looking on eBay for something like it. The closest that I have found thus far is an old boy scout camp ax. That one is probably from the 50s because I recall having one. Yours looks like you could throw it accurately.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks Birdman61 and MountainRanger.
Yep those old timers knew their stuff.
Sounds like you have a nice axe as well Birdman.
MountainRanger Those old Boy Scout axes are great hard to find in decent shape nowadays.
Andy

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Hey Andy, what happened to the Ruxton Museum website? I can't get it to pull up anymore.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Hiya Turkeycreek,
On my old computer it does open either.
I get a notice that Safari can't open the page.
On my wife's new computer it works and opens fine.
Thanks for letting me know!
Andy

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Sweet Ol Hawk

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice looking axe. That must be a longevity record for the handle.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the compliments...
As for the handle...its a newish one...I made the handle for the axe a few years ago....
Andy

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I went to a barn sale last month and bought ($5.00) a Snow ans Nealy cruiser ax that looked a lot like this ax,some sweet,made in Bangor Maine before they went off shore(China)

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 64 | Location: piney woods of east texas | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post