New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trapping Camp
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
not me man i love being dirty and wearing dirty clothes.

Wild as the wind

Posts: 404 | Location: Hittin the road | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Tuscarora
posted Hide Post
30-some years ago, I worked as a buckaroo in Northern Nevada. On occasion, we got plenty dirty - mud, dust, blood, manure, calf scours, etc. However, everyone I worked with - white or Indian - got cleaned up again as soon as they could. Getting dirty and staying dirty is fine as long as you are by yourself, but it doesn't cut it if you are working as part of a crew. If you don't take care of yourself, the boss might think you won't take care of his livestock and equipment. The general rule (unspoken, but absolute) was take care of your animals first, your gear second, and yourself last. But, always take care of all three.

I wasn't there with the fur trappers, but I suspect the rules were similar, if not the same. Granted, they did not have access to the hygiene we have grown accustomed to, but I suspect they did their best to keep their clothing and their persons as neat and clean as possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tuscarora,

Tuscarora

Posts: 352 | Location: Nueva Helvetia en Alta California | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya, Tusky.

Grew up horseback on a cattle farm. Plus, we had our own sawmill. Never knew what it was to be clean or have all the hide on my body, or all the nails on my fingers. We weren't considered 'hurt' unless something was broken or cut off.

Anyhow, that was back in the day when nurses came to schools to give all us kids shots. Remember those pans full of steaming hot water where the nurses (who were stout enough to throw a mule!) kept the syringes and needles sanitized? Yep, they'd use the same needles (6 inches long?) over and over again. Well, the nurse rolled up my short sleeves (James Dean look), daubed on the alky-hol, and jabbed me a good'un with the needle. While she was squirtin' in the stuff she said, "Hmmmm . . . tough skin . . . dirty hide . . ." Made me proud.

Wish I'd never've told my mom. After that she made me scrub myself as shiny as a new pink pig.

I figure ol' 'Coon's' gonna get caught one of these days and made to anti-up with that dusty hide of his. Haw! Haw!

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Tuscarora
posted Hide Post
I do remember the nurses and the shots. Different world! When I quit cowboying and got a regular desk job, it took me six months to get all the grime out of the lines and calluses on my hands. I don't mean to criticize coonmedicinetrapper. I admire the young man for what he does. I am glad he participates in this forum with all us oldsters. And, at least nobody can call him "wet behind the ears."

Tuscarora

Posts: 352 | Location: Nueva Helvetia en Alta California | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
I've always kept myself tidy. Cold baths in the river no exception. Many a bath in a steel pot, water cold or hot. Just washin' my head, an' unmentionables, and puttin' on the same dirty field gear seemed like a vacation. We use to wear uniforms till they rotted on our bodies. Those air-drops with clean BDUs and new socks were like Christmas! As anyone who has lived in the bush will tell ya', sniffin' out the enemy is a valid form of recon. Hate to be on the other end of the wind.

When I'm buckskinin' by myself in the woods, I always take a dip in a cold stream or lake, or run a cold wet deer hide across my face. I try to smell as much like my environment, and as less a meat-eater as I can. The only exception to wet baths bein' the dead of winter. Even then, scrubbin' one's unmentionables with snow, (one advantage of loin clothes), leaves one feelin' refreshed.

Now, I've spent plenty of time with folks who don't share my passion for hygiene. Enjoyable company most of 'em, as long as you can be upwind.

Upwind-sticks, we might have gone to school together.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only outlaws will be free." Will Ghormley

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths. Compensate for your weaknesses." Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think we have in several ways, Will.

Fiddlesticks

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
We should have a class reunion sometime Fiddlesticks.

Will

In 1913, the gold and silver backed dollar was worth a dollar. Today, that same greenback is worth 3 cents. In just under 100 years, the Federal Reserve Bank has made the dollar virtually worthless. Will Ghormley

Posts: 657 | Location: Ankeny, Iowa | Registered: 28 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I second that!

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
Picture of Will Ghormley
posted Hide Post
My wife has a few days between semesters. She is talkin' about takin' a short vacation. What historical sights you got down your way Fiddlesticks? I might make a case for a history vacation in your neck of the woods.

Will

Factor
posted Hide Post
well, the biggie would be Pea Ridge battle field. That battle, along with the fight at Wilson Creek up in MO settled the issue about MO staying a free state.

Then there's Cadron Creek state park down near Conway, with a block house, which was important to the Trail of Tears.

To the east is Mammoth Spring, which is an instant river coming straight out of the ground. Hard to imagine the importance that played historically.

Spot, Rifleman 1776, Arkansaswind, and PA Dutchman might chime in some more if they see this.

Lemme know what y'all decide.

Fiddlesticks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I like hangin with the oldsters. I have an uncle whose a little over sixty and used to farm and hunt when he was younger and he's one of the only older people of my family who get me and we can talk about stuff he did back then because i understand it and do it too haha i like to think im not wet behind the ears but in some things i am

Wild as the wind

Posts: 404 | Location: Hittin the road | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post