Find
Notify
Tools

Trapping Camp
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted
Just made an over night trip with the Weiser River Party of the AMM. I got a crash course on bow & drill fire starting. Weather was perfect and a good time was had by all.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Fiddlin' around

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Raising Camp

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Love the pictures Idaho. I'm jealous of your gear. Keep the pictures coming they are appreciated by all.

Posts: 85 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 06 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Good Pictures. Do you know the origin of the rivers name,Wieser? I only ask 'cause here in PA Conrad Wieser was important in colonial times as to indian relations. In fact we have Wieser state forest. Would be a stretch. Thought I'd ask.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The first pic almost looks like there could be an old Beaver house along the bank of a lake or river in the background.That is what we mostly have around here not to often do you see the classic hut in the middle of a pond usually they are built into the bank or dug under a tree along the shore.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
double spring, The Weiser River is named after Peter M. Weiser, a member of the Corp of Discovery.
trg, To be honest that mound is the left overs of a gravel pit but most of the beavers live in the banks in that particular area.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Idaho for sure. Thank you for sharing your pictures on multiple occasions. Now if I could just remember to bring the camera...

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures! Very nice. Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
awesome fellas, any of you guys lay any steel

Wild as the wind

Posts: 404 | Location: Hittin the road | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The camp booshway did ,the fella in the red capote. It's a place he traps regularly. Not sure how many he's gotten this winter, didn't get any while we were there.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
now thats got to be about the CLEANEST bunch a mountain men I ever saw, must be pretty good hunters though, ain't a skinny one in the bunch hehehe well fed hehe

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
Those are great photos, looks like a lot of fun!

I like your fiddle, I play fiddle as well. Sometime, I would sure like to meet up with you and your group. I ain't that far away and I love Idaho! Thanks for posting this stuff...

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Nice images:

We need to get together at nationals and do a bit of banging and sawing.

BTW: Always nice to see Denise out and about.

Rio
Rocky Mountain Outfit Colorado AMM

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
sawbones. It's always fun to meet up with fellow mountaineers who are also musicians. I've heard some good music come from impromptu jams.

Rio I've seen some picks of you and your banjo. I play banjo also but I don't have a minstrel like you.
Dennis has talked about us going to nationals so hopefully all will work out so we can be there.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Being one of the "clean and well fed" persons in one of the photographs I thought I would respond to the comment from Birdman.
In my humble opinion it is incorrect to assume that all trappers were scruffy, filthy individuals dressed in clothing so raggedy and tattered only the beaver blood held it together.
After all, soap was brought to rendezvous and sold to the trappers. If you look at Miller's sketch of "Pierre" you see a very clean cut guy dressed in well kept clothing. In Miller's sketch of Bill Burrows you see a stout guy again dressed in well kept clothing. Now I am sure there were some raggedy, filthy mountain men since there was such a diversity of people in this trade. Different races, nationalities, education levels, ideas of cleanliness. The greater majority of mountain men were clean shaven as we have found out. Now there were individuals like Old Bill Williams who were known for wearing skins so saturated with beaver blood that they were black but then Old Bill was known as quite a character even in his own time.
So maybe we should rethink our idea of a mountain man resembling the Hollywood stereotype of the "hillbilly" type of dress and cleanliness.
Just my thoughts.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Idaho Mountaineer and double spring. While it is possible that the name Weiser came from Peter Weiser of the Corp of Discovery, there is another possibility. It may have been named for a Hudsons Bay trapper called Jacob Weiser.
Just my two cents worth.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Fancy,
Thanks for making my time with ya'll very enjoyable. Thanks for the lesson on bow 'n drill and your encouraging words 'bout my fiddle playin'. I'm trying to learn some new ones.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Idaho, it was great for you to join some of us AMM types. Enjoyed your fiddle music. As I told you I am partial to the "high lonesome" sound of Highland Scots music. That is the father of our bluegrass and old time country music.
Saw some of your other trips shown on this forum and hopefully I will get a chance to trek with you again. If you go to AMM Nationals you will probably see me there, I will be there for the whole week.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Fancy - Will have to check my books/references but I am pretty certain that Captains Lewis and Clark did indeed name the river after Peter Weiser and I remember it being noted in one of the books I have read.

Anyway, looks like a great camp.

Rio - Looks increasing likely that my gal will get the job in New Mexico so - I guess I will be heading up there sometime in the fall

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
KHickam, Historians are divided on the naming of the Weiser River. Some say Lewis and Clark named it for Peter Weiser. Others say it was named for Jacob Weiser. After over 200 years we will probably never know for sure.