New
Find
Notify
Tools

Period-correct drinking water
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Too many people is whats different now. Back in the 1970's up to 1986 I never purified my drinking water from the Montana mountain streams and never got sick. In fact it was so good my grandparents would take a 5 gallon jug back to the city to hold them over until they got back the next weekend. Then more and more people started using the area not to mention more ranchers were grazing cattle in the mountains and that is what I think has ruined our water supply. I got giardia twice the first time being in 1986 and one of the times came from a head of a spring that must of somehow got contaminated near the source. I have used water filters ever since....no matter what!

Posts: 56 | Location: Montana | Registered: 06 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
And...I think the source of water needs to be considered. If the Missouri water was muddy and a clear creek was flowing into it, even a pioneer would drink the "sweetwater" from the creek/spring.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Funny too, Zebadi'ah, you might have Giardia or "beaver feaver" because beavers have returned to you area after centuries of absence from being "trapped out". Wouldn't that be ironic, your wilderness area is seeing a return of wildlife, and with it the bugs they carry? Eeker

I was told once that the Hudson River was so polluted in the 18th century it ceased being a water source for New York City (I think they meant the city polluted it so much at its lower end, not the whole river).

Personally, I would like to see beavers introduced to all of the creeks that feed the Potomac and Susquehanna Rivers. The water clarity of the Chesapeake Bay is bad, and beaver ponds in the feeder streams and creeks would do much to remove the silt, and the plants that would appear would also eat up lots of the nitrates thus reducing algae growth. Then underwater sea grass would flourish at deeper depths, and we'd get more and cheaper blue crabs, AND I bet the parasite in the southern end of the bay that's messing with the oysters is photon sensitive, so more light would = less parasites, and cheaper oysters. Not to mention more fish! Of course to control the bugs on the beaver ponds we'd need some bat houses mounted near by on some trees. This all makes too much sense though, and folks with property on them feeder creeks complain about beaver ponds, and most think bats are all rabid....

OH and increasing habitat for geese and ducks is not so bad eh?

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
You know fellas I can remembr here in Oregon country the water was pretty clean, never had trouble with critters in the water. But now you don't drink it unless it's boiled or filtered. Frowner I do both when "out and about".

Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I was re-reading this thread today and something came to mind.
We are talking about pollution and germs in terms of the 21st century, and the technology that is now available. In times gone by if you had a sickness, you had to keep going. As late as the mid-19th century, Doctors were still bleeding the sick as a cure. Beyond being heartier stock, what our ancesters didn't know,didn't hurt them.
That being said, now that we do know, we have to take proper steps to protect our health.

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of arkansawwind
posted Hide Post
Hi you all. i dont participate much anymore, however as to period correct water or any water for that matter. it really all depends on how thirsty and how desperately you need water. when in dire straits i have drank some pretty soory looking and tasting water in my time luckly i never got sick. just remember when you need water or with out it you may die just about any water can and will be drank, i would rather be sick than dead for sure, i bet our ancestors felt the same way yours arkansawwind

Posts: 745 | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting discussion.As was previously stated would never have given it a thought. I used to drink from the creek that flowwed past my grandparents home when I was a kid. We always drank from the faster water or riffles. Never got sick. Don't know that I would do it now. I don't know if that is because the water might be different or because of a lifetime of hearing and reading of all the bugga-boos. Dave I am all for more beaver on the tributaries to the Susqehanna. There are some otter on the river now. I also like the comment on the water and scotch. I prefer water and Kentuckies finest.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
This subject comes up here 2-3X a year and similarly on other forums.
I have input from an expert that there is no pure/safe surface water left anywhere in north america. That includes glaciers and mountain tops. Might be true for the entire world also.
If you want to be 'authentic' on a trek that is easy to do. Remember, dying young from excruciating illness, infection, etc. and all alone was very 'authentic'.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rifleman that's good and very true. Infection killed a lot. We take fighting infection today for small things for granted. If you ever developed blood poison from a small scratch or cut you understand.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
I would dare to say that water today is at least as contaminated by "farm runoff" and other man-made chemicals and pollution as by natural microorganisms. That stuff can't be boiled out. Thanks, Monsanto!

I have a little PUR pump filter that I don't get to use much.... Need to get out into the woods!

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Woodyrock
posted Hide Post
I was told my our doctor that a small percent of people are immune to Giardia. I believe I am one, but my wife is surely not.....her bout with this bug dropped 35 pounds off her. Did think about bottling the water, and selling it as a guaranteed weight lose treatment.
American hikers have recently introduced Giardia to the more used walks in New Zealand where one was safe to drink the water.
Being a tea drinker, in camp, I have always boiled the water, but today all the water gets boiled first. No more ice cold refreshment from small springs.

Posts: 36 | Location: Wet side of Warshington | Registered: 30 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Awhile ago, my Great Grandpa told a story of when he was a child, and how many people in the small town he lived in had their own wells. He says now that he suspects the wells were contaminated because people were always getting sick. That was just the way it was, and the towns folk never gave it much thought. He says looking back, he's sure that all their drinking water was bad. The water in old days was probably almost as bad as the water now, but when people got sick, they never attributed it to the water but to some other factor.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Can't you just carry a canteen or two ? Boil stream water when you run out

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I earlier stated that in my youth I just drank from natural sources- never thought about it, never got sick. Actually I never used stagnant water, water from creeks where wild game might have been, I was somewhat careful in the sources I used. The troubles today do seem to be from the hordes of back packers, etc.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
You guys bring a tear to my eyes, I have lost a Lot of lifestyle via Progress,what was once my way of life + raising was destroyed by Progress.
Last thing to disappear was our Springhouse&drinking water,for 4 generations we had enjoyed water so cold it would make your teeth hurt,and as clear as clear could be.Nobody was ever sick from it,but after Mr.Christmas Tree Grower got though with the adjoining land,He had managed to poison everybody's water supply.
Progress? Not from where I am looking

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
This discussion reminds me of a incident...
Many years ago I had a job in Soda Springs, Idaho.
The springs that the town was named after was originally named Beer Springs by the Mountain men who frequented the area. Mormon settlers renamed it Soda Springs.
The spring is still accessable, though there are warnings about "drink at your own risk". I had to try it..naturally carbonated spring water..mostly for the historical signifigence, then sweated out the next coupla weeks to see if I came down with anything. Nope, though there were beaver and muskrat in the stream the spring fed.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I drank where ever there was water when I was thirsty, including the snake river and numerous stock ponds in northern Nevada and southern Idaho. I think I've built up an immunity to some things, including beaver fever because I've drank enough water to float a canoe in streams where plenty of other people got sick. I've been lucky. I still drink out of streams because, if you monkey around out in the brush enough you will at times have a choice between drinking what's available or drying out to a corpse. I've never been forced to live on city water and that probably helped. Lewis and Clark told their men to dip deep when drinking out of the Missouri because they thought it was the crap on the surface which was making them sick. In old times one of the deadliest things going was a concentration of people. Early military forts were about like pest houses. Black Harris survived years in the mountains, then checked into a hotel back east and quickly died of cholera.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine grew up in California and he said once for a school project each student had their water tested at their houses. His came up to be the dirtiest water in the school and he suffered no ill effects. He's also hunted and packed all over the U.S. and Canada and always drank from natural water sources.
Over the years I've been in situations where it was creek water or no water at all; and all these took place several miles from my truck so it wasn't like I could just hop in and drive off to the nearest "waterin' hole". Not saying that I can't get sick from it, just haven't yet.
When there is water near by my camp I will usually boil it but if I'm on the move and I need water I just drink.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
We have 2 springs here in the Green Mtns. in the Ripton area that still draw residents from the area for their drinking water. Have frequented them many times while working tin the woods of the area, and on the hottest day, the water is crystal clear, and cold.....Gary

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats the taste of fresh spring water.
Worked in Nevada earlier this year and there was a spring I'd stop by for water. Was mighty good on a hot July day.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post