Find
Notify
Tools

tinder box style
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted
One of the many things I need to improve on is fire starting with flint and steel....so with that in mind gonna practice more often.
My tinder box is a nice one...one of the ever popular brass ones with a burning lens in the lid.
However...after looking through some of my books....and online collections....I don't seem to find any originals like this.
Anyone know if this box is a 18th or 19th century design?
Thanks,
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Andy* - I recall some discussion on another forum a while back on this subject. First, it seems that during the 1760-90 period brass was a very costly material and most all the boxes and containers were tin, not brass. Also, that same thread noted that the style with the burning glass in the lid was more thought of for tobacco than as a tinder box. I am not sure of the "proper" date, but it would be in the latter part of that time span, I think, and the container would be tin, not brass.

But, others results may vary.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Col.Boone,
Thanks for the reply....later is better in my case...since most of my gear and favorite rifle are "late"...as in Mexican war era...or there abouts.
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Just FYI if you get a copper or brass container and use it for your tobacco instead of a tinder box..., you need to be careful what kind of tobacco you store within it. Some of the cased or flavored tobacco types have some residual stuff that can corrode a brass or copper container, forming verdigris, a toxic substance probably not good to smoke, and a tin container might rust a bit.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Good thing to know...thanks L.D.
Andy

Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
The only actual "Tinder boxes" I recall seeing from the 18th century are household items. Round tin boxes with a candle holder on the top.

I carry my fire stuff in a hinged tin "tobacco box" from Hot Dipped Tin.

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,anyone know an easy way to take the commercial printing off an Altoids tin?Not positive,but it seems that the design is one that's been used for various purposes for at least the last couple'a centuries.Presently I use one for fire stuff.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
An Altoids box will always be pretty obviously an Altoids box, label or no label.

However, I 'spect that you could toss it in the fire and all the paint and label would burn right off. Or put Zip Strip on it. (but don't do both at the same time!!!)

Posts: 48 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
That style box was/is offered by Ted Cash company. Ted replicated original styles. Have no fear about it being 'correct'.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
I searched several antique shops online for snuff boxes, if you wanted to go that route. There's several on there, but this one would be the one I would buy.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/4...-Box78-19th-C-Pewter

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Stophel
posted Hide Post
Was searching around the internet the other day and found this:

http://www.vintagemedical.com/...s/fire-starting.html

Several 18th century pocket firestarting boxes. Wink