New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Curry
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Is there another outdoor writer out there as good as he is? That's always the first thing I look for when I get the new magazine and he never disappoints.

Over-the-log shooting, the second most fun you can have laying down.

Posts: 64 | Location: Volunteer State | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
His nemisis Mark Baker is a good writer n has, like john, the chops to back it up. Yes there are quite a few good writers out there. Usually it depends on your personal likes n the style of writing by an author that satisfies your cravings. Cross Fox right here on the board is a good story teller n after 40 some year in Alaska outback knows what he's saying. Mike Nesbit again here occasionally on the board has a way with words. Wiclk Elerby n Chuck Burrows(sorry Chuck if I misspelled that) are gents with the miles under foot to seriously pay attention to. It's up to individual taste in writing styles I guess which a fella enjoys reading.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've played in this insane hobby since I was a kid n im 62 now onbut I'll listen to even the newest greenhorn because he/she just may toss out an idea I had not considered after all these years. Ya never ever stop learning or know everything by a long shot.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wink Not sure "nemisis" is the right word...I don't think the two men are at odds. As mentioned Mike Nesbit writes for the same magazine, albeit in a different style.

Woodsrunner's Diary by Keith Burgess, although Mr. Burgess is located in of all places, Australia, he is pretty good in what he writes and what he puts on YouTube.

Mr. Burgess aside, beware the YouTube, however, as just because a bloke is dressed up and done a video, or done videos on other topics, doesn't mean he's got the right information for our era. I've seen several videos with glaring errors. In one the fellow's blanket roll was so low on his hip, I didn't need to see any more to know he'd never carried it any distance (plus a small iron pot was tied to the outside; hanging below it.) Roll Eyes In another video, a fellow who normally does good firearms videos shoots a short Bess....with his open powder can down range from his muzzle when he fires. Eeker

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
If you have never seen a can of powder blow up, trust me, it's truly dramatic!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
So who has both of John's book "Rockhouses and Rhododendrons" vol l & 2?

And Mark Baker's books? "A Pilgrims Journey" vol l & 2, also "Sons of a Trackless Forest" ?

I met John at Fort Henry Days in 2014 and ran into him several times since, would like to meet Mark Baker sometime.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 06 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I have all three of Marks books as well as a series of vcr tapes. Haven't picked up Johns books yet but they are on the when moneys available list

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,they're all on the List

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I have all Three of Mr. Baker's Books, plus both of Mr. Curry's, as well as Ted Franklin Beleu's.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Also, Mr. Curry's story in the Jan/Feb issue is excellent; right on par with his usual work.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I heard that "Sons of a Trackless Forest" was being printed again....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Cado
posted Hide Post
It is to be printed again but not sure when

Posts: 617 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
That rumer has been around for years now Mark did say a good while back he would like that to happen but to many things in life at the time getting in the way at the time. As Cado said nobody's sure when or IF it'll actually happen. Curious, what's SOATF worth now? Had my copy for years now, picked it up for $75 from a friend

Factor
posted Hide Post
Well if you dropped $75 on a copy in good condition you did well....I've seen them with the original dust jacket for $200. Eeker

LD

Factor
posted Hide Post
The last time I looked on Amazon.com,they were in the 1100 dollar range....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
on Amazon.com,they were in the 1100 dollar range...

WOW! I bought my copy directly from Mark, and he autographed it for me. It think it cost me $95. years ago when it was new. Autographed copies should be worth more than the plain ones.
I'm keeping mine!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post