New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re creating Hugh Glass trip
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Well, recreating the Hugh Glass ride - turned out to be more realistic than I had planned - I left late morning on Saturday and within 20 minutes was caught in a thunderstorm - waited that out in a grove of cottonwoods - once that had passed I began the ride - my plan was to ride to the headwaters of the Grand River where Hugh Glass was mauled during the era - it was a pleasant ride - two river crossings went off without a hitch - about 4-6 miles in my horse got spooked by a rattlesnake and he bucked and reared and took off like a shot - I stayed on for about 30 yds but then all hell broke loose - and I hit the ground really hard - the impact was enough to rip the stitching off my canteen cover and I ended up in a heap on the ground - extra water, bedroll, saddlebags still on my horse - whats worse I was hurt pretty bad - I suffered a concussion and broken neck - the first 3 hours of the ordeal are not clear in my mind - as I was vomiting and every time I moved my head spun and I was get dizzy and could do nothing but lay helpless on the ground - my loyal jack russell Goose stayed by my side and probably saved my life - nearly dark I heard coyotes uncomfortably close - I managed to find my rifle nearby and after checking it best I could I primed it - in case I had to defend myself against the coyotes - the night passed with me getting intermittent rest but it was a cool night - I had on two linen overshirts but not much else and the temps dipped into the low 50s - I shivered miserably all night - I came up with a plan near nightfall I was able to stand up with the help of my rifle and I determined to walk out if possible - had my horse come close enough - he would not come to me - I am sure I would have shot him just to get my bedroll and extra water and food and waited for rescue - since rescue would likely not be there for at least another 24 hrs - I had already spent 16 hours laying on the prairie - I knew if I did not walk out I would likely die out there, When daybreak came I pulled myself along and using my rifle as a walking stick took every agonizing step on my way out of there - 7 hours later I found myself on the road and at a house where someone took me to Isabel were I had signal for my cell phone my son met me in Isabel and took me to Mobridge Hospital - I spent two days getting rehydrated and my neck is in a brace - my injuries are a pretty badly messed up toe and foot and a fractured C2 vertebrea imy neck - I think after this ordeal I have a better understanding of how tough Hugh Glass was and how helpless he must have felt

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your injuries! It makes you think about what the real mountain men went thru...no help, 1000s of miles from any primitive medical available, and hostiles that would be more than glad to put you out of your misery!

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
In all my years,,,never have trusted a horse

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow! Quite an ordeal. Makes me wonder how many long hunters and mountain men perished due to accidents such as that.
Recently here in Tenasi, two of my aquaintances have been injured in horse related incidents.
First, Joanne was in the barn tending to an old horse that she has had for many years. Her yappy little dog annoyed the horse and it suddenly lashed out and kicked Joanne in the ribs. Two broken ribs and a lacerated liver! Luckily, she had her cellphone and was able to call 911.
Her husband was out in the field bailing hay and didn't know anything was wrong until he saw the ambulance pull up to the barn.
Second, my neighbor was thrown off her horse, a horse that she also has had for many years. Don't know what spooked the horse. Kathy fell and broke one of the vertabrae in her upper back. Her son-in-law saw the incident and soon had help on the way. Kathy went through surgery, and is back home now but in a back brace.
Both women are hurting, but they are recovering just fine.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of experience with horses. Grew up with them and used horses and mules in my work most of my life. I believe that anyone who spends a lot of time horseback will get hurt. Just a matter of when and how bad. Contrary to many opinions they are not toys. They are good tools, but unlike most tools they are either working for you or against you all the time. I like them though. Sorry about your misfortune.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up as a young lad near Grand Junction, Colorado a wise old cowboy told me "Son, you can always tell when a horse is thinkin' of a way to kill you."

Being young and impressionable, I could resist the bait. "How is that?" I asked.

"He's breathin'." the old hand replied.

Seriously, wishing you a speedy recovery.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sorry t hear about your accident and glad you are alright. If I recall, this isn't your first horse incident. You have me thinking...I'm going elk hunting in a week or so and horses are involved. You have probably forgotten more about horses last week than I know about them. Eeker Best regards. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nope not the first - incident - hope it will be my last - but I spend alot of time in the saddle and this particular horse has a Jekyll and Hyde personality - we will not have him very long I hope

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Posts: 516 | Location: Ft Parker/Ft Manuel Lisa | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHickam:
I spend alot of time in the saddle and this particular horse has a Jekyll and Hyde personality - we will not have him very long I hope

I take it the horse and, hopefully, some of your gear has been recovered?

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I've owned horses in the past but never again.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper doug:
I've owned horses in the past but never again.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lost my tomahawk - turn screw, spring vise, extra springs and a canteen

Will get getting a Paso fino soon and more PC tack - not quitting but I need to find a partner - I could have been a dead man out there

Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a gamewarden in the SW portion of New Mexico, I had to do horseback patrol in the Gila Wilderness.
I had a Jenny that had Paso Fino in her. She would get into her pace and could go for hours..and I wasn't wrung out at the end of the day.
She had a personality more like a dog than a horse. Only time I had to tie her was to keep her from following me.
When I transferred to the SE part of the state, I wouldn't be doing horseback patrol on a regular basis, so I gave her to the rookie officer who was replacing me, as his only horseback experience was what the dept. had given him. I told him she was a good mule, to trust her, and she would keep him out of trouble.
Yeah, a Paso Fino would be a good choice. The Forest Service uses alot of Tennessee Walkers.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
"the most infirm horse can kill the strongest man in a heartbeat. . . ". I'm real partial to walking horses, but I grew up in Kentucky, so they were common. I've got a mustang now, so its a new experience for me. I stay mighty cautious with him. He has a soft eye and a good heart, but you never know.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post

Just before taking off on the ill fated trek to the Headwaters of the Grand River

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHickam:

Just before taking off on the ill fated trek to the Headwaters of the Grand River

"ya got the hair of the bear on ya, Tyler. that's fer sure"

good story, hope ya gets better soon

Posts: 125 | Location: eden, utah | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone Big Grin

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wow I just read about your mishap and I must say your one tough hombre. You also are mighty blessed. Glad to hear your doing better.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post