Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Riders
 Login/Join

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted
Yesterday, I was channel surfing and viewed part ( Hard Riders) on the Nat Geo channel.

I thought that it was close to being right on the subject, as my limited experience is.

Would anyone know if this a one time show or maybe a series.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Leeroy,

It first aired Dec 19th with the first part. It is supposed to air again on Jan 27th. Hopefully with another session.

I got a chuckle out of the obvious TV play on the situations, such as trying to go thru a bog with the horses-big nono-saw that wreck coming. Also the big playup of the river crossing-there was a perfectly good crossing just 50ft upstream-gotta have the drama you know.

The saddles and gear appeared for the most part period correct. The squirrel hunter needs to learn his rifle jest a little bit better. All told, I enjoyed it just for the diversion from all the junky programs that are aired.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Apparently you and I think alike. I caught the last 25 minutes of the show. It didn't seem too fake to me either. But I didn't understand the concept. Was it two seasoned 'Mountain Men' taking a 'Green Horn' on a trek across the mountains for a fee...like a guide service kinda thing...or was it just for TV?

This kind of adventure could be something that some of us 'Green Horns' might be interested in. Wonder if it will be repeated later this week? I'll have to do some searching for the answers.

Wonder how many shots the guy actually took before he connected with that one squirrel? That's diffinitly where a smooth bore would have came in real handy. One squirrel for three guys...wow, thems some hungry guys right there. But then at the end, the one 'Mountain Man' did say that he would have had to kill and eat the 'Green Horn' if they were on the trail much longer...HA!!!

L8R...Ken

Edit...I was writting as Crossfox was. Got a couple questions answered...thanks Xfox. I was amussed at the river crossing too. They could have walked across at those rapids and never got the knees wet. Oh well, that's TV for ya. MIssed the part about the Bog Crossing...must be where the 'Green Horn' lost his mess?

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I was worried during the first half of the show that it would be another reality show with scrypted drama. The second half of the show was very enjoyable. I also wondered why they crossed the river at that spot when you could see better spots to cross. I figured they wanted to give the new guy some experience crossing deep water in a spot that was not too dangerous.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Watched that last night. Beat the other dreck that was on. I was curious about them having nothing with them to eat. No jerk meat? I would have had something in my possibles even if I was planning on living off the land. Funny how he finally scared one squirrel to death. The technical term for riding into a bog like that is STUPID.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wolfwoman wondered why they didn't set out snares in the evening for rabbits and such.

Plus, those streams looked very fishable to me. Saw only one short on the one fella fishing. He fishes poorly.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I entered just before they caught the beaver, why didn't they save what meat that was left from the meal.

I might like to take a 4-5 day pack trip with someone if they would go with someone with no knowledge of what they were doing. A real greenhorn.

I think that it will be on again jan 27, at 9PM.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Well, aside from all the other things already pointed out....I felt sorry for that "greenhorn" and the way those fellas treated him. Had it been me, I would have been riding out alone and they would still be looking for those other two....just saying! retired outfitter/guide! Won't tolerate rude behavior, from anyone!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
Don't get the channel this is on. The three guys are Doc Ivory, Oliver Mccloskey, and Jamie Law. The first two are long time AMM and the third is a pilgrim working on joining the amm if I understand it right.
There is a book listing trade items sent west from all the different companies and Forts that came out a couple years ago can not think of the name of it right now but Doc Ivory and Oliver put it together.

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes, Doc & Oliver are well seasoned AMM Brothers, that I know these characters personally and been on the ground with. They each have logged well over 2000 miles in the trail in PC gear. Woodman the book is “Supply and Demand” that they put out together. So as for gear appearing PC I think you would be very hard pressed to find anything out of time in their packs. I had seen Doc ride in from 100 miles with an original Lancaster Henry across his saddle. Oliver’s saddle is well researched and built by him; I have one the same from him. He is also one heck of a PC beaver trapper, smells like caster. Jamie is Oliver’s AMM Pilgrim.
So in the AMM , we have requirements to fulfill. So everyone is put to these same tests. It is because we get out into the wilderness and actually practice the mountaineer’s way of life. You want to know that you can count on the next guy in case things happen.
A few such requirements for the show would have been; Must have spent at least five days traveling on foot, snowshoe, canoe, and/or horseback.
a. One method or a combination may be used.
b. Bullboat may be used in place of canoe.
c. You are expected to gain as much distance as possible.
d.This trip must be under primitive conditions, taking nothing that would not have been available to the mountain man between 1800-1840. Rifle, hunting bag, powder horn, and knife must be along.
Must be able to demonstrate the ability to properly pack a horse, canoe (or bullboat), or a man for distance travel under possible adverse conditions
Must be able to demonstrate trapping ability using steel traps, snares, and traps made from natural materials found in the area.
We also have one were we must not bring any food with us at all and just live off the land. Not as easy as it sounds.
Of course we did see some of that played up TV drama for sure, after all that’s what these film companies want. They don’t want the truth, it don’t sell that well. Wish they would continue and show more of the things we do and the gear we use.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Oh I ment to add that we will give Oliver a very hard time about his shooting. But all in all these guys are a lot of fun to be around.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bufflerub1880:
Oh I ment to add that we will give Oliver a very hard time about his shooting. But all in all these guys are a lot of fun to be around.

That had to be embarrassing! I'm sure there is some pressure having a camera man filming you and knowing that millions of folks will be watching. I know I've made some great shots at the range by myself but then when someone else is there I can't pull off the same shots to save my life!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Bufflerub!

Hope you didn't take my comments as disrespecting the fellas. I don't know of any AMM members in Ak. If I lived in the western states I would have sought them out when I was younger.

After living in Ak 47yrs and out in the bush for 17 years, I have set high standards for my skills and back-country knowledge, and have met or exceeded the AMM requirements. But, now at 66 yrs young it is harder to mount a horse than when I was 40, and I do get wind abit easier, too.

I look do forward to more of their programs, though.

Regards, xfox

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Crossfox,

No,no I wasn't taking it that way at all. I just thought I'd give alittle background on the guys and alittle explianing of what they are about to help maybe fill in some questions. Also maybe spark folks to find what the AMM is all about. I ahve seen on many forums peoples thoughts about the AMM, and could see they were mis-informed. We are not bad stich counters and we are always open to new folks with the same wants of going that extra step and challange of living the western fur trade.

Here is a link to our party here in Colorado to see some more of what we are up to http://www.rockymountainoutfit.com/
We are willing to answer any questions.

I like your sign out quote too.
Bill

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the show. I may be biased because they are my Brothers. I have ridden with Oliver and camped with Doc and Jamie. But I thought it was a good mix of action, reality, as well as educational.

Anyways, I wanted to share a sketch of Olivers saddle... it shows a little use from his rifle riding across it.

Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,
Bradley C Bailey
AMM #1980, http://www.rockymountainoutfit.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
And one more sketch of moccasins Oliver has worn out. This guy lives and breathes the mountaineer lifestyle.

Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,
Bradley C Bailey
AMM #1980, http://www.rockymountainoutfit.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post