MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Trekking & Primitive Skills    Put-A-Foot in 2012 or my treks last year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put-A-Foot in 2012 or my treks last year
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I like to use the term “put-a-foot” instead of the modern term of trekking. A hunter/trapper of the far west fur trade would have been “put-a-foot” when he lost his stock and would have to make do with what little he had left to travel far with. So that was my goal and I did accomplish that. I totaled up to +100 miles in moc’s. They were all enjoyable miles and my only company was my Lab Molly. Except for the last 3 day 14 mile was with a young trail partner. Most were 3 day camps deep into a spot. My biggie was up into the Cimarron Wilderness area for a 5 day high alpine adventure. After all this I came out in much better shape and feeling even more comfortable with my 1830’s kit. I have lessons learned and even though my gear rode well I found a better way and even lighten up my load some and all the while trying to stay with their thinking and equipage. I blew out two pairs of BT moc’s, but seen a lot of great country doing it. Met some nice folks on the trails and some kept the distance from me. I wonder why?

Here are a few skecthes for ya.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
beautiful country you got there, wouldn't mind "putting a foot" around them parts.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Looks mighty peaceful. Would've been a good trip to be on.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
That sounds like one awesome trek! Thanks for sharing!

~Josh

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
In Spanish, 'to stand up' is 'poner la pie'. Which means 'to put the foot' ¡So there you go!
León Eugenio Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, we are so lucky out here, to have so many places to go in most any direction & dont have ta so sir to no one. And carry yer rifle too. I grew up back east and know what it means to have this. Anyway, in case folks would like to see some more images of last years trails here ya go. I'd sure like to see other folks images from the trails they covered this past year too. I See alot of talk here about trekking guns, fire rings, PC water, and even where to poo,so I do take it that others do get out on the ground? Please share it helps others to see to get some ideas and ask questions...

How my gear is stowed in my oilskin

My gear mantyed up with buffalo robe strips for straps

Trail partners

Rock art

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bufflerub1880,

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I heartily agree buffler, I gain so much more by seeing rather than reading. Haven't been out in a while so I don't got any new pics to share but thanks for yours.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I realy enjoy seeing the trekking or Put-A-Foot posts. The pic's are great.

Be safe and enjoy.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Great pics, thanks for sharing! I love Montana but I really miss Colorados wilderness areas.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Great pics and what a great trip. Sure stirs the juices about getting out and about.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
nice bill...
we needs to kill sompin together as amm folk

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Posts: 197 | Location: the backwoods of Gunnison CO | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post