Find
Notify
Tools

Journaling and Trekking
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hey Gang...

Does anyone here do any Journaling during trekking, shoits, camping, making gear and/or attending rendevous or feasts?

When you journal, do you journal in your persona as a first person diary...or just journal for historical/biographical purposes?

Just curious as to style and substance

Thanks,
GONZO

Posts: 12 | Location: Delphi, Indiana | Registered: 17 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have hunting, fishing, traveling, and work related journals, and journals of personal notes. Not a diary! Just journals that I write in whenever the mood strikes me.

I have been keeping journals since 1969. I now have many volumes of them. I keep them with my family genealogy records. I consider them priceless.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
When I have done journals of trips or events, and sometimes of hunting seasons, I use a pencil often to make notes in the field if I'm doing living history. I picked up a packet of pencils at Colonial Williamsburg years ago, and they have lasted a while. Then I transfer the notes to paper and ink with a glass pen. I confess I should work on my use of a quill, but I haven't set aside the time to do so. It's one of those skills that every literate person of the 18th century would have had. I do occasionally use the glass pen to write letters to other living history folks.
In any case I write as though it's a journal/diary/log

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Excuse my Ignorance, but what is a glass pen?

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
John,
A glass pen is a type of dip pen, as is the old goose quill pen. The tip is dipped into an ink well and the design of the tip holds a small amount of ink which wicks out as you write. With a glass pen the nib (tip) is fluted and that hold the ink.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yep..., they are made by glass blowers/crafters, and I was introduced to them about a decade ago. They are a lot easier to master than a quill pen, and allow you to use a more modern technique when writing script (aka cursive). A friend uses a quill pen that he fashions from harvested goose feathers, and in addition to the cutting and tempering of the tip in hot sand..., the movement of the tip is a bit different than with a modern pen or a pencil...while a glass pen you can use the modern movement. I probably should learn the movement of the quill, and should mimic that with the quill pen (they would not have known a different method back then having probably learned with quills)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I have a hard enough time just using a ball point Razzer

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Writing is quickly becoming a lost art now a days with everyone on computers. I appreciate the info!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Not too long ago I gave a hand-written note to a secretary. She exclaimed: "I wish had beautiful handwriting like you do."

I think my handwriting is awful, but...

I'm left-handed and my writing has a backward slant, that is rarely seen. Many people find it difficult to read.

My grandchildren print whenever they put something "in writing". They, especially, have a hard time deciphering my cursive. They are used to the typed word, and seldom see cursive.

I still have one cousin that I exchange long hand-written letters with. We like it that way.

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My cursive is so bad anymore that I print so I can read my own notes. I could improve if I practiced.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Same here. Work forced me to print or use the computer for so many years that my cursive went to hell.