New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with deer ticks
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Just curious how some of you deal with the plague of deer ticks. In some area's up here in Mn. I can follow a deer trail for 20 minutes and get 30 of the little buggers. When overnight trekking-hunting in the fall I'm thinking spraying outer cloths with deet ( would this damage leather) and if making a bed of leaves for the evening, spraying the heck out of that too. How do you all handle the mini menace.

Posts: 25 | Location: northern Mn. | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend permethrin. Spray your clothes well and let them dry. You'll be tick free for weeks or months. Exposed skin can be treated with DEET. I've been in the woods in the spring, summer and fall with nary a tick; the stuff works! I went online and bought a bottle of the concentrate. with that I made a gallon of double strength spray and only used maybe a half ounce of the concentrate. But even a regular can of permethrin spray works as good. DEET is not nearly as effective as permethrin at repelling ticks.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Permethrin products was what was recommended to me when I lived on Connecticut a few years ago. I lived in Old Saybrook, which was about 15 or so miles from Lyme, CT and that's where Lyme Disease was first diagnosed. There were deer ticks up there OTA!!!!!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ticks were bad around here this past spring. They seem to be a bit more scarce now.
I'm not too concerned about ticks. I don't do anything special about them. I spray myself with Deep Woods Off, that contains DEET, and I check myself now and then and pick them off whenever I find one.
What bothers me more than ticks is poison ivy. Dang stuff grows all over down here!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ticks that bad..I'd hunt somewhere else..not worth getting sick over..

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
There really aren't any places to go unless you want to hang out with everyone in a state park. Much of the public land in several counties have been put on the No Tree Left Behind program,(that's what I call It anyhow) To provide jobs for the loggers and a few companies and mostly to fund the counties, that have been clearcutting for a good 20 years now and everything comes back in Poppal and brush. The price was high for a while so many landowners got into logging off their land too. With all the old forest removed and brush and popple taking over, now we have a huge problem with deer ticks and Lyme disease.

Posts: 25 | Location: northern Mn. | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, I'm afraid I don't know a repellent spray for poison ivy. Big Grin

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I do... is called Napalm! Kinda sorta works fer kudzu too hehehe

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey, I saw that napalm stuff over in Vietnam. It works on everything - ticks, too. But, like a lot of things that work, the government banned it.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Here in PA our ticks get pretty thick. The best thing most of have found is Repel, With permanone. You can only use it on your clothes, but it works like gangbusters. Thisstuff lastsabout 2 weeks.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walks with gun old growth forest is impressive,,however the deer starve in it.they are not tall enough to reach the leaves/brows.First couple of years it is grim ,then the "bushes" start to grow.They cut out back of my land,not much food for the deer so they are filling in from my garden waiting for the trees/bushes to come back !!!!!
Ticks are another problem,,not many around here yet,,

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I definitely understand how beneficial new polal growth is being a grouse and deer hunter, but it would be nice to see something besides popple, brush and pines planted in nice straight rows. They could leave stands of old growth here and there on public land.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil and Picardin are good alternatives to DEET, after much testing and are not quite as effective (from what I've read) as Fresh permethrin. The advantages are that you can apply either of the former two once a day in the woods and keep both ticks and skeeters at bay, while DEET isn't good for you and Permethrin does fade over time so when do you know to reapply it?

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Don't bears just love Lemon Eucalyptus oil. I'm just kidding I hope. Something to check on, especially for the significant other who hates,and is sensitive to many of the dubious chemicals. Thanks guy's.

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Clothes sprayed with permethrin and allowed to dry can be washed several times with no loss of protection. It's the dryer, in fact, that gradually removes the permethrin. One spray will last for quite a few hunts and maybe the whole season; it did for me.

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the dryer, in fact, that gradually removes the permethrin.

THANKS for that tip. Big Grin So drip drying is a good idea.

I've also just read that permethrin works great on clothes...but doesn't stop skeeters or ticks on bare skin as it's only for clothes. So maybe combination of skin based stuff for face and neck...plus permethrin on the clothes ???

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Permethrin every few days on clothes. It may last for a few weeks, but I'm not taking any chances. Helps with chiggers, too. Long pants, tall socks, long sleeve shirt.

I always wonder how bad they got chiggers back in the old days under those leggings and moccasins. Ughhh.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Exposed skin can be sprayed with some formulation of DEET. OFF or something similar works.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ah but DEET has been shown to have some side effects that can accumulate with repeated exposure over time.

LD

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loyalist Dave:
Ah but DEET has been shown to have some side effects that can accumulate with repeated exposure over time.

LD

Ah, yes. But so do tick bites. Big Grin