Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with deer ticks
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Too True

Have you or the others heard about the protein allergy sometimes from Lone Star tick bites?

I was hit by three of the lone star ticks, and I got some serious "skeeter like" welts and itching, but not the allergy to red meat (which is good 'cause an allergy to venison or beef or pork would SUCK).

No pun intended....(get it? Suck...tick bites...??? Eeker)

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3661 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned it, LD, I've even turned up at least one case where where a teenager(one example) became paralyzed. At the hospital they found a tick embedded in his scalp. Once the tick was removed he quickly recovered. I would think that cases of anaphylactic shock are not that uncommon; though some are relatively mild as was yours. Anaphylactic shock also occurs in snakebite envenomation and can be as dangerous as the venom itself.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3131 | Location: Virginia (by way of Georgia) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
To everybody on this list, do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe. I imagine most of us are older citizens, I am 72 and sitting here with my arm in a sling due to a complete shoulder replacement. The length of time it takes to recouperate anymore just sucks! I do believe that if I came down with a case of Lyme's it could do me in. As far as the long term effects of some of these chemicals goes, there is one advantage to old age, I probably won't be around long enough to feel the effects.

Posts: 278 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Hey Bud,
Take care of that shoulder and if your doc suggests or prescribes some physical therapy (sessions at the little shop of horrors) consider it. I had a repair of a torn rotator cuff and removal of arthritic build-up earlier this year, and while I can still barely hold my rifle in any firing position, I have to believe the doc when he said that I could expect a minimum of a year's recovery. Mine wasn't as significant a surgery as yours, but I have some idea of the aggravation you are going through.

We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, so hang in there. If you see any ticks coming after you, whup them with a hammer with your good arm!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mountainranger. The better half is a nurse, and at times a flashback to my drill instructor. I have been exercising every day, as I have a birth defect to my other arm. So if I don't follow instructions I will need help just to scratch my er nose.

Posts: 278 | Location: Pocono Mts. in PA | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hang in there,Bud...I'm trying to retain use of my left arm,in spite of developing problems in that shoulder.trying to avoid what youse guys are going through.I was in a motorcycle accident a couple'a years ago,and was over using my left shoulder to help my right recover from being banged up...well,the inevitable happened,and my left is now my weak one,despite being my dominant arm.What a mess.So,trying water excercises,and Tai Chi,along with just being careful with it...My son is getting a kick out of me asking him to lift heavy stuff now,sheesh....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1486 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have not been able to bowhunt this year due to my left shoulder. Sure don't heal up as fast as I used to!!!

Posts: 77 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
You can say that again, John. I lost the ability to draw a bow string some years back due to ra. But it has been so long since I shot a bow that it really doesn't matter that much. And yes, holding up a heavy rifle is a problem. In fact, I sold an accurate, beautiful 42" rifle (about 8.5 pounds) and had a much lighter and slightly shorter EL built that's a joy to tote and shoot. It's not HC/PC and ended up being a, surprisingly attractive, amalgam in .50. Rice round bottom swamped X 38" barrel; built to my small frame.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3131 | Location: Virginia (by way of Georgia) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post