Find
Notify
Tools

seeking future trek advice
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of dances with mules
posted
Hello all, I'm looking for help/advice. Next May some of us northern boys are heading south to the Raid at Martin's Station. We were there last May and had a great time. Next time we (4 of us) want to go down 3 days early and do a scout in the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest in Kentucky. We've never been there and can't prescout it. I'm mainly choosing areas based on John Curry's fine books 'Rock Houses and Rhododendron'. We need to stay reasonably close to the Cumb. Gap to save on driving. I've gotten a Kentucky Gazetteer to look over areas. Sure seems to be a lot of roads there... I'm thinking of going to the area around Cumberland Falls/Dog Slaughter Falls, or where the Rockcastle river enters the Cumberland. Maybe set up a bare bones station camp and do day scouts from it. Our group's senior member can drop us off and then pick us up 3 days later. He can go antiquing in the mean time.... Some questions; 1) do we need to contact the D.Boone Nat'l Forest for any permits? 2)Any of you familiar with these areas? A good choice? Other recommendations? 3)Can we carry our flintlocks? 4) are campfires allowed? 5) do we need to worry about copperheads? 6) if threatened can we shoot a copperhead? Are they protected?
I truely appreciate any and all tips, advice and help.

much obliged

J.K.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 11 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You can access current information on the Daniel Boone National Forest, and check for things like "forest" permits that allow you to pick up firewood. The site also gives you "alerts" so you may get up to date information. For example if a bridge into the National Forest was damaged by a storm a couple a weeks before your trip you'd want to plan a different route to your jump-off spot.

As for loaded rifles and shooting snakes..., in many of the eastern national forests loaded arms of any type may be frowned upon, and a flintlock rifle is a poor method of dealing with snakes to boot. A fusil with shot, sure, but not a rifle nor pistol with a single ball. Copperheads from my years of experience are not too agressive.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Kentucky, but a little further south, here in Tennessee, in the Cherokee National Forest, you can now carry a handgun anytime. However, you cannot carry a long arm unless it is the proper gun for a hunting season and you have a license for the game.

I don't know when KY has its spring turkey season, but I would expect it to be around the time of your planned trek. Get a non-resident turkey permit and that should cover you for carrying a smoothbore. If KY is like TN, they do not allow rifles for turkey.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of dances with mules
posted Hide Post
so nobody out there in the 'campfire' has done a trek in this area? I thought it would be a popular place, since it's where the original longhunters operated. We just don't want to walk into a campground or some other modern development. I know any scout these days requires a healthy imagination, but the less modern things around the better. And of course, to find some mature forests, rock houses, wild looking areas, that's the goal.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 11 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
It has been years since I was in that area. I was part of that Ft Bragg crew that came up for Johns Treks. I remember them being cold most of the time, that might have been because It was fall and winter, or might have been the fact that I had been in the tropics for 4 plus years straight.

The only time I had a loaded gun other than for the massacre was for the deer hunt, that was an expensive weekend. Now I know we were going to be doing a canoe trek in April on the Green River, but it was too high and there were too many snakes. Ive heard stories of barefoot trekkers getting snake bit in that area before.......I would suggest you try and get yourself a local guide who can trek with you. Since Martin's is pretty much always on Mothers Day weekend and Im back home and now have a wife and kids, Im not able to participate like I was when I was far away and in the Army.

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dances with mules:
Some questions; 1) do we need to contact the D.Boone Nat'l Forest for any permits? 2)Any of you familiar with these areas? A good choice? Other recommendations? 3)Can we carry our flintlocks? 4) are campfires allowed? 5) do we need to worry about copperheads? 6) if threatened can we shoot a copperhead? Are they protected?

Okay, I'll try to be a little more specific in answering at least some of your questions.
1,2, and 3: I know nothing about the Daniel Boone Natl. For.. The only way to be sure is to contact that forest headquarters directly.
Here in the Cherokee Natl. For., in TN, I do not need to contact the forest service for any back country hiking or hunting that I do. Although if I intend to carry a shoulder-fired weapon it can only be during an open hunting season, and if I have the proper hunting permit. Since both forests are federal, I would assume that the same rules apply. (But check anyway!)
4. Campfires are permitted in the Cherokee unless otherwise posted. Generally they are okay unless there has been a prolonged drought and the fire danger is high.
5, and 6: Both the copperhead and the timber rattlesnake are found here in the southern Appalachians, but the only time they might "threaten" you is if they themselves feel threatened. In addition to my own wanderings through these mountains, I also do a lot of volunteer trail maintenance here in the southern half of the Cherokee Natl. For., south of the Great Smokies. Considering all the time that I spend in the woods, my snake encounters are quite rare. Neither species are agressive unless you provoke it by stepping on it, poking at it with a stick, or if you do some other foolish thing to it. Then, they will defend themselves.
They are not protected here in TN, but please do not kill one unless it has bitten someone. Then you might want to take it to a hospital for positive identification so that the proper anti-venum can be used.
Before you step over a log or rock, look on the other side to see what is there. Look before placing you hand on a rock. Don't stick your hand into any holes! Be careful when picking up firewood or when overturning logs and rocks.

I am much more concerned about running into some clandestine marijuana patch, meth lab, or moonshine operation. Those have been known to be booby-trapped, and also sometimes guarded by heavily armed thugs. Pay attention to what is around you! Pay attention to any strange smells! If anything seems out of place, or makes the short hairs stand up on the back of your neck - get the heck out of there!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post