New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mosquito Netting
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Does anyone know what was used for netting? I have read in a book about early Colonial Arkansas territory using Mosquito netting but the book didn't elaborate. Any suggestion?

Ferd
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is freedom and liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 16 | Location: Hot Springs, Ar. | Registered: 26 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sorry guy,I have no clue.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Gauze has been around for millenia; could it be something like that?

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mosquito season around here you may want to try chain mail!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Ga is super buggy and a skeeter nightmare. The state bird is the gnat.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3558 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Don't know about mosquito netting.

Back in '97 I made a caribou hunt in far northern Quebec. Mosquitos were bad, but the black flies were terrible.

I wore a headnet and slathered myself with enough repellent to drown a moose. Didn't help much.

Those tiny black flies either got through the netting or came up under it somehow. One day out on the taiga and my face looked like I had smallpox.

However, my French Canadian guide, a native to the area, went entirely without any protection as far as I could tell, yet he was seldom bothered by the little pests.

I don't know - maybe he ate a lot of garlic!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
You didn't ask him what his secret was?

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There was a language barrier. We mainly communicated with sign language.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Boy,they really ARE snooty in Quebec.I would have thought they would teach their kids to speak English .If for no other reason than being able to communicate just how inferior we are.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I once sat in a restaurant in Quebec City, waiting and waiting for service while the staff passed all around me.
Turns out they thought I was English Canadian. Once they realized I was American the service was great.

My guide on that trip was French Canadian and Cree. He did not speak English. The camp cook was all French Canadian and he also did not speak English.

Anyway, they did not admit to speaking any English.

I have encountered other Quebecois who also did not speak any English.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow....Just wow.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, I found a little more info for the debate. This statement came from a book, Colonial Arkansas 1686-1804 by Morris S. Arnold. On page 85 this is from a Debtor Estate record of Pierre Lefevere. "In 1810 Pierre Lefevere had a large walnut armoire with copper hardware, etc., two cypress benches, and a bed with two small mosquito nets." I was trying to figure out what type of fabric that was used? The book doesn't mention anymore about mosquito net other than with Pierre Lefevere.

Ferd
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is freedom and liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 16 | Location: Hot Springs, Ar. | Registered: 26 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm,muslin?

Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
"The following articles were furnished by the Mission for the use of (Kanza) Indians on the exploring expedition being second hand and repaired.

3 Coats, 5 vests and 3 pr. pantaloons
5 pair socks and 2 pair suspenders
2 Shot pouch straps 1 hunting shirt & Coat 1 vest and 2 pair Socks
1 pair pantaloons Belt & shot pouch Strap
6 Saddles 3 saddle Bags, 6 Bridles 6 saddle blankets & 6 circingles
1 saddle, saddle bags, bridle saddle Blanket circingle and Buffalo robe
1 Pack saddle circingle & Bridle
5 Bell Collars & 2 Leather hobbles
9 Bags Buffalo Robe Deer & Bear skin
100 lb flour 4 Tin Kettles 1 pan 8 cups 1 canteen
2 spoons & pepper Box
one musquito Bar
2 Rifles & 1 heavy shot gun with pouches & horns
1 lb Tea 2 lb Coffee 1 pr socks & 14 lb sugar
2 blankets

Journal of Isaac McCoy for the Exploring Expedition of 1828.

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmmm,what's a musquito bar?

Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm,what's a musquito bar?

Someone wearing a short sleeve shirt where the mosquitoes gather to drink and socialize. Smiler

Factor
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought....Heh.

Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
Its a net. I haven't researched them to find out what material was used though.

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I realize this is an old thread but I'm just seeing it now...sorry.

As to what's a mosquito bar, I believe it's a post over a bed which the material can be laid across so it's above your head & body. In regard to what the netting is made of, years ago a friend shared some information (don't know where he got it from) that the original mosquito netting was all a lightweight gauze material. I didn't quibble with the historical correctness of it on a few nights on the field at Fort Ticonderoga. It worked well and we went on to use it at other events and no one ever questioned it; although I do think they were a bit envious.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 January 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Ferd

try this.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_net

doggoner

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 31 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post